Upside-down eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Time-Out, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Today, I received 6 eggs in the post, 3 of which were packed upside down. Can anyone tell me whether this will affect the hatch in some way? Will they still be ok? I think one has also a loose air sack as, when I righted it, I felt something move inside, which I didn't in the others. I have read people's posts about this problem, so I'm considering moving all eggs into cartons for the duration of the incubation. It's tough to know what to do. I don't want to do the wrong thing and lose these little ones.
    As you can probably tell, it's my first time hatching eggs. I can't stop [​IMG] I'm so excited! [​IMG] I'm desperate to get this right...

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You don't know if that package was shipped right side up or up side down, so the up side down ones may be the ones that were shipped correctly. That is a big reason you need to let them settle for about a day before you start.

Will that affect the hatch? Maybe, but you can't control that. Just do the best you can after you receive them and you will have done the best you can do.

Good luck!

3. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Thanks. I rang my OH to tell him, just after I posted this. These are his choice of breeds (sort of). He basically said the same thing as you. I'm reassured, in a way. I don't think I'll be 100% reassure until they're all eating and drinking!
    There's so much information out there, it's hard to know what to do and who to listen to. I imagine I'd probably have to try all methods before drawing my own conclusion. Thing is, we only want 2-3 hens, not 20-30!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I agree with the other posts. Everyone is different and many take care of their eggs in different ways. I have experimented many of the different ways to see what kind of a hatch I will get. On shipped eggs I have let them sit for 24 hrs and longer before I put them in the incubator and have put them in as soon as I got them. One thing that worked well for me was to put them in the incubator when I get them and don't turn on the turner until the next day. The eggs will take quite awhile to get up to temperature so while they are heating up they are stabilizing too. Just my opinion. Good luck and have fun!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I suspect that its probably pretty reasonable to assume that the eggs were in all kinds of positions during shipment. I've seen the way packages are handled by the post office and private carriers like UPS and FedEx. Even things marked as fragile.

6. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    My OH was once speaking to someone who worked at a sorting office part time. He said that anything marked 'Fragile' or 'This Way Up' gets special treatment. His exact words: "Who are they to tell us how to treat our mail?!" And a game of footbox would then ensue. NOT the sort of thing you want to hear when you frequently ship things marked as fragile by post!

Thanks everyone for your reassurances. I have the eggs that arrived yesterday in the incubator right now, so I can't really turn it off. The breeder said they shouold be fine after being sat for 24 hours. She explained that is actually why they are recommended to be left that way, to allow everything to move back into place if it got disturbed. The incubator cools down quite a bit when I open it, so they won;t be moved into a boiling room instantly. It does heat up from cold surpringly quickly, though! It's cheap and nasty, but as long as it does its job, I'll be over the moon.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:You can meet jerks anywhere. But just because one person is a jerk is no reason to assume that all are. But anything shipped is not in your control. Anything can happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by