UPSIDE DOWN EGGS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ginbart, May 16, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    OK I got a little excited so I candled my eggs at day 5. I did see some veins but some of the eggs were so round I couldn’t tell the difference between the small end and the large end. I think I put some in upside down by what I saw. Should I turn them?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    When I caldled mine I marked with pencil an "A" on the air cell end so that I would know at a glance what end was what, especially since some of mine were round and you couldn't tell by the shape which end held the air cell. Oh, and you probably already knew, but the air cell goes UP and the smaller pointy end goes down. (if you are using a carton)

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  3. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have them in a turner now. This may sound dumm but. If they are round, how do I want to say it, would the air cell go to the top end that I had up?

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't think it moves. I think where it is is where it is... that's why when the air cell ends up on the side of the egg, they often don't hatch.

5. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I see, so when the hen lays the egg its stationary. Already there and not moving. So if I have the air cell at the bottom can I turn it right side up?

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, turn it so the air cell is on top in the turner. At 5 days, I don't think it will do much harm and have found I had to turn some over already that are really round. Those round eggs are buggers. Now I candle those before putting them in to make sure I got it right.

Jody

7. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Ok, Thanks everyone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by