Upside Down, Yolk Exposed Chick Hatched. Genetic?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Omniskies, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I thought all of the eggs that could hatch were done hatching, so I cracked open the others to see how far along they developed and discovered one chick still alive - somehow.

He reversed himself in the egg and was hatching upside down where the obviously pointy end was. I helped him get out of the egg and noticed more things wrong with him:

* He's panting like he's out of breath. This makes sense to me - he was trapped in an egg without an air sack breathing...I don't know what.

* Part of his neck seems swollen. I don't know if that might be the position or something else.

* Part of his yolk is hanging out.

I have him separated from the rest of the hatch - none of which have had a problem and are bouncing around happily inside the brooder. Is there any hope for this chick? Is it genetic? What happened? I know you're supposed to cull, but I'm a sucker for trying anything just to give him a fighting chance. Then I'll probably give him away as a pet if he makes it.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I don't think he will make it [​IMG] The best thing would be do end the suffering

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    sometimes they just end up breech. I had one with a swollen neck that was breech, but seemed to be caused more by the position in the egg, he also had a sideways butt(bellybutton was off to the side). The yolk should absorb if you just leave it. It could be as simple as just bad positioning. You won't know if there are any other issues until later if it makes it. I would give it a few hours and you will know. I usually wait a day or two to cull if there was a problem, could go either way. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by