Urban chicken breed - Clearwater,FL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LacyBlue2U, Oct 13, 2008.

1. LacyBlue2U

LacyBlue2U New Egg

Oct 13, 2008
    I'm interested in getting 2 chickens for my backyard. We live in a traditional neighborhood so I'm looking for a more incognito breed (I ready the entries on "Proud and Loud") and since it'll be around us all the time one that's friendly. A smaller chicken that produces a reasonable number of eggs would be great. Any suggestions on breeds? Or a farm where I can get them?

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Silkies...they are MUCH quieter (usually) and even though they are considered a bantam breed, their eggs are larger than most bantams. They can't fly and are generally very friendly.

3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Golden Comets *aka Red Sex-Links* (also called red stars) are quiet, pretty, very sweet and excellent layers.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My only suggestion is that you get three hens instead of two. Chickens are very social animals and if you only have two and something happens to one you're left with a very lonely chicken.

5. Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    Quote:RIR's and Sex-Links seem to be very docile and quiet. Our Doms tend to get a little mouthy. I found my girls on local craigslist.org. They were a little over 1 yr old and already laying. I didn't want to go the raising chicks route, so this has worked well for me. BTW...I live in the City Limits, so I had your same concerns.

Good luck and best wishes.

[​IMG]

Dash

6. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Yet I have 2 RIR's and they are louder then a John Deere tractor with megaphones as tail pipes. Sweet as can be though. I keep hearing them silkies are pretty quiet, but, don't they always sit on their eggs? It would be like a Fraggle that doesn't work.

7. LacyBlue2U

LacyBlue2U New Egg

Oct 13, 2008
    Do the silkies lay many eggs? Physically they seem perfect - being small - but I'd like to get a reasonable number of eggs. Also are mites a problems with this breed. This will be my first chicken experience and I'd like to make the right selection. I don't know what a sex-link chicken is but I've got lots of interesting hits from my internet search... I don't seem to be able to locate anyone that sells chickens in the tri-county area but there is a county fair next month in Hillsborough County. I might have some luck there.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by