Urban Chicken Craze!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dvchickenlittle, Mar 7, 2017.

1. dvchickenlittle

dvchickenlittle New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    California
    I'm new to chickens. I'm new to this site. But I am not new to farming and country. I was raised with 3 horses, 3 geese, 2 4-H pigs, 1 friendly sheep, many dogs, cats, rats, birds, and even a turtle, lizards (that I caught) and some toads. I love country life! I'm stuck in a rural, yet urban town. I'm blessed with a half acre and a garden. I have room for chickens and I'm loving it, but OOOPH! Our city ordinance is steep. I had to pay $200 just to apply for a permit of 6 chickens (hens only). I have a hearing coming up and I'm hoping all goes well. All it takes is 1 neighborly quack out of someone and their goes my permit. I've thought up a million replies and defenses for myself, my chicks, and my family. Hopefully I'll be able to raise awareness on urban backyard chickens. I'm the first to (attempt to) acquire a permit in our city limits since the ordinance was created in 1985. We'll see where this takes me.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    [​IMG] Regulations can be a pain and alo people who take it into their heads to complain just because they can. Maybe you should try bribing them with fresh eggs! if anyone does complain that it - lots of luck[​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, dvchickenlittle, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Hope your meeting goes well and you are able to get your chickens. Good luck and best wishes!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens hope your neighbors will [​IMG]

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us and I hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

7. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope things go well for you at the hearing!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under dvchickenlittle [​IMG] Welcome!

Fingers crossed that you are successful!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by