Urban Chicken Keeper in the Making

Alioop

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Hi all!
I'm a Central New Yorker who's come down with a bad case of chicken fever, thanks to a couple friends who have recently gotten into chickens. I've also been getting interested in the move towards urban sustainability. I live in the city (and love it!), but I think I was meant to live in the country! I don't want to move, so I'm turning my backyard into a little piece of farmland!

I hope to buy some chicks in the spring, I'll probably order them. Boyfriend has volunteered (read: I volunteered him), to build us a nice roomy coop and run, and we plan to give the birds access to our fenced-in yard while we're home to watch them. I've been advised to seek out quiet breeds, as I'm going to be chicken-keeping in stealth mode. My city is a bit unclear on whether or not chickens are allowed, though I know of others who have them.

'Til then I'll be lurking, maybe popping in with the occasional question, while I continue to do my research!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Hello!! Welcome to BYC. I am a chicken keeper in Los Angeles who is also getting into urban sustainability and homesteading including aero and aquaponics. I am currently building a greenhouse with tilapia tanks. If you ever want to chat urban farming feel free to PM me.

If you are uncertain call your local animal control and they should be able to give you all of the zoning information. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom