Urban Chicken Keepers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SunshineSteedFarm, Sep 29, 2009.

1. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Who else here keeps their chickens in an urban area? What breeds do you have? What kind of set up do you have? I am just curious as how many of us urban chicken farmers are out there [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I do! I have Seramas!

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Middle of Phoenix, check out my page.

I have:

12 mutts (4 leghorns, 4 EEs, 4 leghorn/Bhrama mix?)
    1 BO
    2 OEGB
    2 Sizzles
    1 EE
    6 Cuckoo Marans

They are all still chicks, so there will be some reduction once the crowing starts in earnest.

4. Melty

Melty Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    I am.
    I have four mutts. They free range in the backyard. One went missing the first evening I had them FR'ing so I went and asked the neighbours if they had seen a chicken around and they thought I was yanking their chain [​IMG] (turns out it was roosting under the deck and safe n sound)
    Its not very common practice around my area but its growing [​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We are! Check out my BYC page for pics of our set-up, and my sig line for what we have.

6. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Madison, WI lets you keep 3 chickens in your yard anywhere in the city. Check out Mad City Chickens:)

7. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'm illegal in downtown Philadelphia. I can see city hall from my house, and the liberty bell is about a 10 minute walk.

I have the 12 pullets listed below, and 3 new chicks, a splash and a black Marans, and blue barred Olive Egger.

I have a large yard for the city, and they "range" all day. So far so good. Still waiting on some eggs!

8. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    We do in St. Louis. At the moment we have 15 chickens. [​IMG]

We have 2 BO

1 Austrolorp

1 BR

6 EE

3 mixed breeds.

1 Dominique

I Buff Brahma

We let them free range in our backyard for now. I plan to build a run within the next year or so. I'm getting tired of the chicken poo everywhere. We have a good sized lot...so i'm thinking about fencing off part of the backyard for the chickens.

Here is a pic of the coop. I still haven't finished.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  9. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I am urban, I have 14 chickens (5 EEs--laying-- 9 BRs--not laying yet) --which are in the converted garage now because the neighbors are tenting next to their coop [​IMG]-- that live in a little tykes play house and have the whole fenced-in yard as a run.
    I get between 3-8 eggs a day, the only problems that I have had with predators was when my neighbor what on vacation and left 6 outdoor cats which started eating my 10 week old chicks [​IMG]
    I am legal but the city gov. does not like it at all!

ETA: Suburban Chick Farmer 09; Nice coop!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

We are about as suburban as it gets...and in what some might consider a "snooty" area to boot... We have 7 girls! 2 are banties. Planning to add 2-3 more.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by