Urban chicken pen

chicklover

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
I recently bought my children 3 chicks for easter, but i live in the city. I was wondering if a cage that is 2ftx6ft, 4ft caged and 2 ft boxed would be big enough to house these chicks till laying age? If not how long do you think this cage will due?

It depends on what breeds your chicks are. Are they bantys? They would probably be fine though the wire floor may bring on foot problems. Are they standards? If so, just a few weeks and you'll need a bigger space for them.

Thanx for the response. I know one is a black sex link but not sure on the other 2, they are yellow now.

Wonder if i put down some of that green outdoor carpet down on the floor it would be easier on there feet? Could just take it out and shake it off when dirty.

I guess when they get to big, i'll give them to my uncle to add to the ones he has.

I'd look into this setup! I love mine so far.
smile.png
Very easy to put together.

GoPups, I have that set up too. My hens come in May. It was easy to put together and the run is a nice size. I'm figuring this as a beginners set up. Later on I will have a more permanent type one. The only thing about this type of hutch is it is kinda open... so I will have to modify it for winter time. Your in TN, so maybe that type hutch is good without modification. How many birds are you gonna have, and what kind?

I recommend, especially since you live in the city, to check out the eglu. you can go to murraymcmurrayhatchery.com and you should find it. I think it would be great for you. It is $740.00, but you can choose your color and it has just so many cool features!!! it will save you the time and hassle of building your own too. DO check it out though!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom