Urban Chickens Coming Soon!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UrbanChick101, Aug 9, 2010.

1. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I live in Iowa, lived in the city all my life. However, I have been around chickens from time to time. Our City is just getting the last few zoning items finished up and we should get permits to have chickens within days!! We have 4 kids, a dog, and soon 6 Buff Orpingtons. I want heavy breeds as it gets a tad cold in the winter, and I have heard and read that they are friendly birds. My kids are so excited to be getting chickens. We just got our coop, my husband was going to build one, we found a deal on Craigslist that we couldn't pass up on a children's playhouse that we are going to use as a coop. My husband is going to install nesting boxes this week and start on a pen right away as well. Praying the heat waves brakes for all the building that needs done! My two year old, asks everyday if we are going to get the chickens for the coop. She loves to see pictures of chickens, and the real ones at the near by children's zoo. Our chickens we found on craigslist as well. Pullets that just started laying eggs this week, that were hatched on Valentine's Day. The seller is holding them for us, until the city starts handing out permits. We homeschool and think that this will be a fun and exciting teaching tool as well as a new adventure. Can't wait to get our chickens home!! [​IMG]

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] glad to have you with us!! [​IMG]

3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello

4. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my Buff Orpington! What a sweet, tame, bird. Great with kids.
    Show my hens to your toddler. They are on my website below. My granddaughters are in love with my hens. Whoever thought they could be so entertaining. Best of luck and happy to have you with us! [​IMG]

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG]. I got a great laugh at: "it gets a tad cold in winter". [​IMG] I spent a year at the UofI. I think I'm still thawing out twenty years later.

6. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] from Maine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by