urban chickens in chicago

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kbunny, Aug 13, 2011.

1. kbunny

kbunny Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Chicago IL
    I am a new chicken keeper. I've been on this board for a while now and have posted three questions... But today I discovered that I'm not allowed to post in the "for sale" section until I've done ten other posts! Feh. I hate wasting space on forums, but now I have to think of seven more posts so that I can find a new home for my Buff Orp rooster, which I urgently need to do. Posting an intro seemed like the most innocuous way to meet the quota.

I live in a collective house on the west side of Chicago. None of us has ever had chickens before and we are all totally new to this. We have eight birds, currently three months old. Two Buff Orpingtons, two Ameracaunas, two Barred Rocks, a silver Wyandotte and a gold one. Tragically they are still living in a huge box in our basement, but their palatial new coop should be ready for move-in any day now.

And wouldn't you know it, although we bought sexed chicks, one of them has turned out to be a boy! It happens I guess. But we can't have a rooster in the city, so he is free to a good home. Would've posted this info in the appropriate topic if this board would've let me.

2. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. good luck with your urban chickens. [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! [​IMG] Good luck rehoming your roo! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Greetings from South Carolina! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it here.

7. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Welcome! Just post some comments or ask questions until you get your 10 posts. It's easy. This rule began as the result of hackers and it helps to make this forum safe. Seems like a small thing to the rest of us. Good Luck re-homing your roo!

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! It won't take long to bring your post count to 10. The site does this to stop spammers. It's nice to meet you and good luck with your sales.

9. 5LadyHens

5LadyHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Stinson Beach, CA
    [​IMG]

Hi kbunny! I started welcoming new comers to the forum and before I knew it... I had met
    my 10 post quota. Easy peasy! [​IMG]
    I think that's awesome that you're raising a bunch of chickens in the city. It will be
    fun and educational for the children in the area. Good luck with finding a good
    home for your rooster.

10. ReadySetGo

ReadySetGo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    [​IMG] to you and your city flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by