Urban chickioneer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LiberalCluck, Feb 12, 2017.

1. LiberalCluck

LiberalCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    Hi everyone. New to chickens. We are looking to set up for about 5 chickens. Looking into easy going breeds that are good with kids and good egg production.

We have a backyard in a fairly urban location. Good mix of sun and shade. We compost and have a great back yard garden.

I would love your advice on breeds and breeders. And plans for a coop.

Thanks. Sarah

2. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome to BYC! I'm a big fan of orpingtons so...yeah lol

Great to have ya here!
    :)

~MW

3. LiberalCluck

Feb 12, 2017

Sorry new to this obv. Are the Orpingtons just color variation? Or are they different in other ways too?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  4. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, LiberalCluck, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! There are so many great breeds out there that fit the criteria you are looking for. The aforementioned Orpingtons are indeed a prolific laying breed and reported to be good with kids. There are others that also fit the bill - Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Reds, Rocks, Red Stars and Black Stars....the list goes on. You will find supporters for every breed in existence and detractors as well. For my money I would avoid the Mediterranean class breeds - Leghorns, Anconas, and the like - they are good layers but also tend to be spooky. But so much of that depends on how gentle and patient you are with them as you raise them. Here's the link where you can explore the attributes of various breeds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    And as a new chicken keeper you might explore the wonderful articles in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And here is a link to various breeds and hatcheries: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries
    And here you can peruse coop plans for something of your liking: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
    Bet wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

2 people like this.
  6. LiberalCluck

Feb 12, 2017
    Awesome. Thanks. I'm looking into barred rock too. I think that's what they were. Dominique look wonderful also.

Definitely fun to pick out the new girls.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under LiberalCluck [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good starting points from redsoxs, I will just send best wishes to you and your flock when they arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are generally docile and are a favorite with kids.

1 person likes this.
  9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It is fun to choose the breeds that make up your flock. I prefer a mixed flock because it's fun to "try out" different breeds, see how their personalities vary and the variations in feather colors. There's an article in the Learning Center called "Pickin' the right frickin' chicken" that might help you decide.

Have fun and thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  10. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome!
    I got 6 chickens all different breeds. I LOVE my barred rock the best. I call her Rocket. She is so friendly, will jump up on my lap to say hello. In the past 12 days she has laid 11 eggs.
    Good luck with your future flock, it's going to be a lot of fun....

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by