Urban/City chicken forum

Berkshiremom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 1, 2010
Western MA
Would it be possible to start a seperate forum for people who are raising chickens in an urban/city area. A lot of different issues such as space, coop design, limited grazing etc could be discussed. Sometimes the issues urban/city peeps face is alot different than country peeps deal with. Just a suggestion. Thanks for reading/considering.

I agree!!
big_smile.png

Bu - bu - but, we country folks can really be of help in those discussions.
sad.png

(But, I do agree a forum dedicated to those issues make it easier to focus and discuss those issues without getting lost in other forums.)

I think that's a great idea for a forum! I am keeping 3 hens and 4 chicks (2 will be re-homed) in the suburbs. would love to hear about those doing similar.

I also agree and am in the suburbs as well. New to having chickens and would love to have some experience and words of wisdom to learn from. I look forward to the new forum.
big_smile.png

Thanks for posting. We've actually discussed this quite a bit and while there are definitely some pros to it, we felt the cons outweigh them. One of the biggest problems is duplication of sections and for new peeps to know where to post and where to look / search for posts. For example: Say you are building a chicken coop in the city... does that go into the coop section or the Urban / City Chicken section? Maybe you want to change local city ordinances... where would that go?

There are ways to make it work, but it would take a lot of work from our staff to watch and move topics into their correct locations, and again, would be confusing to members on where to post what and where to search for topics.

Here is what I suggest: An "index" or "repository" of links to urban chicken discussions. All of you interested in focusing on city chicken raising can help!

1) Create or find topics / threads that are city specific in the proper sections. Example: A city chicken coop in the coop section with the subject: "Building a City chicken coop!"

2) Post the links in the new thread I started in "managing your flock" section with links to threads like the one listed above.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=493468

If that becomes popular we may look into a new section. If it doesn't work, then we'll know a new section definitely won't work.
smile.png

Nifty,

Organizing is one of my strong suits and I'd be glad to lend a hand/share ideas on how to separate the issues.

For instance:

Coops are coops --> coop forum. One can pick and choose what works best.

Ordinances are ordinances --> ordincance forum. One can search/add their ordinance. A sticky at the top of the city forum could include links to the ordinance thread, if desired.

City forum, would be for conversation about issues that specifically affect city chicken keepers.

Things can be "tweaked" as necessary.

Does that help at all?

I have city chickens and have never felt left out and have always found the answers I needed here. Some of my favorite posts have been from folks with larger operations. If I restricted myself to urban chicken posts I would miss alot.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, that is why you should have at least 3 country/farm friends for every city friend!
big_smile.png

Having a dedicated city forum wouldn't keep us (the country folk) out, I assume. It would be an area to concentrate on and refine the issues specific to keeping birds in town. Once the city folk have the issue identified, us country folk can show up with all the answers!
lol.png

*runs before I get egged by the city-dwellers*

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom