Urban Coop chicken chow?

Seaecho

Songster
Oct 12, 2017
High Desert, S. CA.
Anyone using this feed? I found it online and ordered free samples.One of each of their formulas.They charge shipping only on the samples. My chickens seem bored with the feed store mash and the crumble also, even though I wet it. They hardly ever eat much at night. Just breakfast and lunch. I thought this might pique their interest, but wondered how nutritious it is.

Eating a ration is boring, but it should be the main feed offered. A bit of scratch or scraps daily can keep things exciting. Most birds eat earlier in the day. They shouldn't be eating at night, they should be sleeping.

Chickens don’t eat three square meals a day like we do , and they only eat til full not continuously eating like some of us do , I don’t believe they “ get bored” with their food , measure how much you give them and how much is gone each evening, you might be surprised how much they are eating, good luck

Okay, now I'm starting to understand why they eat breakfast and lunch, but hardly touch dinner. I didn't realize most birds eat earlier in the day. I didn't mean that I feed them at night. What I meant was they don't eat much at all before going to roost at night. I pick the food dishes up after they've gone to roost.

Okay, now I'm starting to understand why they eat breakfast and lunch, but hardly touch dinner. I didn't realize most birds eat earlier in the day. I didn't mean that I feed them at night. What I meant was they don't eat much at all before going to roost at night. I pick the food dishes up after they've gone to roost.

We ferment feed, and we feed once a day. Time of day really is weather dependent. Summer when it's hot, we tend to feed right after dawn, or as early as we can. It gives them a chance to eat before it gets too hot to eat. We'll then put out some scratch, fruit scraps and/or veggie scraps. Winter, we normally don't feed until noon or so, since the birds need some warm up time.... this is when we give hand fulls of scratch first thing in the morning... and, at times, warmed oats or grits.

I was fermenting too, and now that summer has arrived, it starts to sour quickly, so I stopped that and am now wetting the crumbles instead. I think I'll just ferment in fall and winter from now on. My birds are not free range. They have a 5x30 ft run, and being in the desert, we have no worms or grubs for them to find and eat. No grass either, although I give them both alfalfa and grass hay. So they are totally dependent on me. Does this apply to chicks too? That they eat mainly just in the morning or early afternoon?

Mine eat first thing in the morning, then in the afternoon and then again right before bed, and that's both hens and chicks. The food's always available during the day, but they seem to have a set "nap time" and "grooming time" and "digging deadly potholes time" that trumps "eating time."

Back
Top Bottom