Urban Coop Duplex w/external Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rwood5093, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Rwood5093

Rwood5093 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2016
    Jamestown, SC
    Our whole chicken keeping adventure started when I found an Urban Coop Company Duplex Coop setup on craigslist at a really good price.

All together, it has a 52" run, then 58" coop, then another 58" coop for a total of 162 inches (borrowed image from Urban Coop Company's website http://urbancoopcompany.com/product/round-top-backyard-chicken-coop/#build-your-own-coop-package).
    [​IMG]

We knew we wanted to build a run around the entire thing, but in the planning stages, we decided we didn't like the setup of the coops (long and narrow) and we decided to set them up separately.

We built a 12x16 run, and have the two coops setting in there independently - sort of side by side. we are currently using the run extension as a brooder for our 13 chicks (Barred Rocks). When the chicks are older, the run extension will probably just be stored somewhere and come out when we need to separate some birds. Excess roosters (we have at least 4) will be going to freezer camp. We do not plan on going out every night and closing the coops.
    [​IMG]

Now that we're done, I have started to question our design - if we have two coops inside the run will the chickens all try to crowd into one when it's time to go to bed? Can we train them to sleep in both coops? I dont think they'll all fit in one coop.

we have thought about using one coop + run extension as a bachelor pad, but leaving it inside the run (partially, becuase it will not fit through the posts to get it out).

[​IMG]
    FWIW, here is the run we built. roof is PVC, covered in wire, covered by a tarp.Walls are 1/2" hardware cloth, buried at least a foot on all sides.
    [​IMG]

So, what problems can I expect having two coops inside the same run? In my dreams the chickens all naturallly pick a bedroom and half sleep in each coop.

Thanks,

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

I have two coops attached to my single run. In my situation, each goes to the coop that I have trained them to go into since they were young.

3. Rwood5093

Rwood5093 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2016
    Jamestown, SC
    How were you able to train them? Would you keep them confined to one or the other for awhile so they get used to sleeping in a particular coop?

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    You can do it either way or a combination of both. Keep them locked up for a few days, and then if any are still unsure, move them to their appropriate coop. It usually only takes a few nights of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by