Urban coop - will cluckers use 2 feet of run space under an elevated coop?

frontyardcoop

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2015
Altadena CA
Thank you everyone for your help, your threads really helped me design my coop. I have a small space for a coop, rectangle 89 inches x 40 inches. I want 4 chickens, but am making a coop with just enough space for 5 (20sq feet, nesting boxes outside of coop, drop door in floor, food and water outside). I will need to use the space under my coop as part of my run area but I need to keep the height of the whole coop + run stack to 6.5 feet. Coop will be 4.5 feet tall and run under the coop will be 2 feet. There will be additional run area extending beyond the coop. 2 feet tall under the coop feels tight, will the chicken use that space? Or will they use it as a dungeon for the unpopular girls? I do not have space for a 50 sq ft enclosed run if I don't use the space under the coop. (they will be able to play in the backyard many days.)

The extended run will only be 2.5 feet high, this is a front yard coop and I have to "hide" it. My front yard is gated with a wall and an open fence on top, but it is also elevated from the sidewalk, so a giant run would tower over people walking by on the side walk. I need to keep it low so I can hide it with some star jasmine plantings! I live in SoCal, so the run will never be covered and the area receives perfect dappled shade during the summer and sun in winter.

2 FEET IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR CHICKENS TO UTILIZE AS RUN SPACE. You are doing the BEST you can with what you have. What breed of chickens do you want to get ?.. If you are getting only pets, then may I suggests Bantams. You can squeeze more into same size housing and they will be comfortable.
WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

Hi, I live in southern Cal too, and my runs are covered for shade. The sides are hardware cloth, and that still lets in a lot of sun and heat. Chickens are fine with two feet of height in some areas, but do love to flutter a bit in other areas. Under my coop it's not very high, and they like it there, especially on hot days, for shade. They seem more interested in what's on the ground than what's above them! Although good roosts to sit on are important to them too.

White leghorn chickens are slender and don't need as much space as some of the big heavy breeds. They are great layers too. A little skittish, but hey, you can't have it all...! Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom