Urban Daisy Chicken coop (UPDATED 7/29/08 MORE PICS!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anny, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I thought I should make a thread of the time line of me building the coop.

We just started building a few weekends ago and have been slowly working on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the very rough plan we are working from, although we already decided to not have the window there but on an exterior wall. We also decided to have a flat roof since it would be easier to build and since it's inside of the garage it doesn't matter.

I've never built anything before in my life. But my DBF has been slowly fixing up our old house (learning as he goes) and he has been helping me out ALOT.

[​IMG]

I was able to get a HUGE pile of 4ft 2x4's from a construction site so I thought I'd be making the coop 4ft by 4ft. But then I thought...I want it to be bigger. So I decided on 6ft by 4ft.

[​IMG]
    the view from my drive way

I like in the city...well kind of...I like in Detroit Michigan in a home in Corktown. Chickens are not Legal in Detroit. Although LOTS AND LOTS of people have them, hell a house on the other side of Corktown even has rooster and GOATS!

I decided I want about 4 laying hens. We decided that since our yard isn't that large, and to cut down on building costs we were going to build the coop inside of our garage, into a corner using the wall that were already there. With the run outside the garage in an area that is pretty sandy and hard to grow stuff on anyways.

[​IMG]
    This is the run location.

[​IMG]
    We cleaned out the corner of the garage for the coop. (of course this happened to also be the corner that before we just piled all our scrape wood and stuff so it took a while to clean out of the corner haha)

[​IMG]
    We build the floor of the coop 4 feet by 6 feet.
    I later learned that about 1/2 the 4ft 2x4's I got for cheap...are not even 4 ft long but about 2 inches short of 4 feet...oops.

[​IMG]
    We layed down the flooring, those nice little 1 foot by 1 foot squares, I was able to get them nice and cheap at a reuse center. 25 cents each.

Then we put up the walls

[​IMG]

We are planning on insulating the coop since we live in Michigan and our winters are long and cold.

I'll keep you updated as we continue to build, hopefully we will be done in a few weeks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i know cork town! i'm in lapeer...you live in a great place!

your progress is great! are your chickens going to be in the st. paddy's parade? dress them up so they look like dogs!

3. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    hahaha That would be cute to have chickens in the Parade! I can't even take my dog to the parade though she gets to excited at all the other dogs.

Good to meet a near by chicken lover.

4. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    UPDATE!!!

We've been slowly (very very slowly) working on the coop when ever we get free time.

Here is what we did this past weekend...
    NESTING BOX!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be honest I had NO idea what I was doing while I was building this, I couldn't have done it with out a little help [​IMG]

We also attached the two large front doors...although we are still having some issues with them...I think they need more supports or something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We got the nesting box attached and part of the wall up as well! (the sun was starting to set in that last picture)

It's coming along, slowly but surely

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  5. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    We've been working hard this last weekend.

We added a window [​IMG]
    Since the window I bought at the restore didn't work we ended up using some extra windows that came with the house inthe garage.

[​IMG]
    We primed the coop, $1 can of primer from the Restore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We painted it with left over paint from out living room.

And then we defaced out garage....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We put up the chain link pen, but we need to find a way to secure it to the garage, and add hardware cloth and something on top.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats looking great [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It's coming along nicely! [​IMG]

8. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Well it looks like you're having a lot of FUN with this [​IMG] . And it looks great too [​IMG]

Reminds me of a lovely white chicken curio or armoir. [​IMG] I love your creative use of space and I know they will adore it.

9. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    That's what the lady next door said, she said it looked like we were building a large armoir in our garage [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by