Urban Egger Co-Operative (Jumbo Coturnix Quail with Jumbo Eggs)

chefedwardmac

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
La Verne, California
The goal of the Urban Egger Co-Operative is to establish leaders that will advance sustainable quail husbandry in urban and suburban communities.

I am a Pitzer College student studying Environmental Analysis in Claremont, California and I am working on an Urban Community Development Project.

"If you give a man a quail you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to raise quail, compost, and grow a food garden than you feed him and his community for a lifetime." -Edward Mac

The meaning of the quotation is to teach someone to be independent rather than to give them temporary support. It is better to teach them how to raise quail, compost, and grow a food garden so that in the long term they can take care of themselves.

This is the new Standard of Jumbo Coturnix Quail (Coturnix japonica) aka "Urban Egger" updated (06/20/14)

We are starting with 100 eggs from James Marie Farms
  • 50 eggs from the XL Meat Class, James Marie Pharaoh D-line (Desired Genetic Traits: Large Eggs)
  • 50 eggs from the XL Meat Class, Texas A&M D-line (Desired Genetic Traits: Fast Growing and Heavy)

"Urban Egger" Selective Breeding Project:
We are selectively breeding the fastest growing and heaviest roosters with hens laying the largest eggs

• All chicks male and female must weigh 0.19 lbs by 14 days.
  • All birds male and female must weigh 0.69 lbs by 42 days.

WEIGHTS:
14 days about 0.19 lbs
21 days about 0.38 lbs
28 days about 0.63 lbs
42 days must be 0.69 lbs+

Color is irrelevant.

ROOSTER SELECTION: Males that bully, roll or bloody the hens are out
HENS LAYING EGGS: greater than > 16 grams.

For hatching eggs to make the next generation of jumbos I take my biggest males by weight, put them with my females laying the biggest eggs.

SET EGGS: greater than > 15 grams.

Genetic Diversity:
Once a year we will purchase 100 eggs from a NPIP provider to provide genetic diversity for the breeding flock.

Will Update This Standard as Needed...

-Edward

Last edited:
So you're looking for leaders who are versed in sustainable quail practices?

I'd love to volunteer but first someone has to teach me, or give me time to let me keep blundering through my own efforts to have self sustaining quail.

I really like this idea because quail get around the chicken ordinance so no one is doing anything illegal (we all know how slow government can be to change), and yet can still raise this awesome little birds.

Here's the thread I've started so you can see some of what I've been doing

So you're looking for leaders who are versed in sustainable quail practices?

I'd love to volunteer but first someone has to teach me, or give me time to let me keep blundering through my own efforts to have self sustaining quail.

I really like this idea because quail get around the chicken ordinance so no one is doing anything illegal (we all know how slow government can be to change), and yet can still raise this awesome little birds.

Here's the thread I've started so you can see some of what I've been doing

I looked over your thread and it is amazing what you are doing, I really like the duck weed idea! Did it work out for you?

Following. Neat concept. So are you actually teamin up with various people to do this then..?

My girlfriend and I are the core leadership team right now, I have two of my personal friends and four different co-workers raising quail or chickens right now. We have about eight people total in our sphere of influence.

One of my co-workers is super serious about raising quail and has a flock of about 40 quails that I raised and he gets over 100 eggs every week in a suburban city in southern California.

My girlfriend and I are the core leadership team right now, I have two of my personal friends and four different co-workers raising quail or chickens right now. We have about eight people total in our sphere of influence.

One of my co-workers is super serious about raising quail and has a flock of about 40 quails that I raised and he gets over 100 eggs every week in a suburban city in southern California.
Really? I wonder what's wrong, we don't count layer eggs until we pack them, but the 17 hens in my breeder house produce 119 eggs per week.

I looked over your thread and it is amazing what you are doing, I really like the duck weed idea!  Did it work out for you?

I'm switching them over now so I'll know more in the coming months. Right now they are 50/50 duckweed/sprouts and commercial chick feed. They seem to like it more than the commercial feed though. They eat a lot more of it than I expected though.

I found out they dont like chia sprouts or buckwheat sprouts. Kale and alfalfa sprouts seem to be favorites.

I have 14 (mostly very young) hens and get about 70 eggs per week. Your 40-for-100 does seem off like QJ said. In fact, if QJ is any guide, my ratio is a little low.

Back
Top Bottom