Urban Farmers in Northern California

We are so happy to be a part of the McMurray family. I have known about this hatchery since my high school teacher introduced me to urban farming and chickens in 1975. With over 20 years experience, I am passing all that I know on to my neighbors, my children, and other animal lovers. Organic eggs are good for the body and soul. People really do care!

That said, I am co-founder of an Intentional Community (I.C.) called Artpeeps, thus the avatar name. The icon you see here is our famous rooster, named Big Boy because he is just that- big, loud, and proud. I am so happy to have fresh eggs each day, and the neighbor girls at our urban location relish holding the chickens and smelling their fluffy feathers. I really like the on-line format of this virtual group, as it has helped me numerous times when I was stuck- or left wondering about everything from when will the broody hen actually hatch those old eggs, to how come the hatchling died after a week. It is so important to keep the chicken coop clean. I am now throwing down pine shavings instead of hay and it is so much easier to clean up. Thanks to the person who posted that helpful hint! Love you guys. Finally decided we should join and start contributing instead of free-loading one-way advice. I am happy to answer questions if you have any. I will post lots of pictures soon!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome-byc.gif
haven't seen any photos to look at - maybe the lump on her chest, is her crop

Thanks! if you get a chance to look at my photos, I need help to better understand why my sex link (Hanna) has  tumor growing on her chest. Anybody else experience that? I am worried. How long will she live?

Can you post a picture?

Last edited:
Well, I am going to follow up tomorrow. I gave the chickens shredded cabbage and a bunch of squished purple grapes from my juicer. I'll bet it was so good she way ate too much and has an impacted crop. So I watched YouTube videos on this and I saw all the scenarios including surgery. Perhaps she can recover on her own. I did not give her any hay to eat but she had bread the day before. I just read that bread can give them impacted crop problems to and I didn't know that. 30 years raising chickens and I didn't know that! Live and learn.

Well, I am going to follow up tomorrow. I gave the chickens shredded cabbage and a bunch of squished purple grapes from my juicer. I'll bet it was so good she way ate too much and has an impacted crop. So I watched YouTube videos on this and I saw all the scenarios including surgery. Perhaps she can recover on her own. I did not give her any hay to eat but she had bread the day before. I just read that bread can give them impacted crop problems to and I didn't know that. 30 years raising chickens and I didn't know that! Live and learn.

Don't feed her anything for at least 12 hours and see if it goes down. But do let her have water during that time.

Back
Top Bottom