Urban farming can be fun

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by urbanchange90, Nov 11, 2013.

1. urbanchange90

urbanchange90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for stopping by. First let me say hello. In the last few years I've been slowly making a change in the way I live and view the world. I started learning more about things I'd need to survive if something were to happen. At first I thought this was the way to go but I soon realized although its always good to be prepared, it's also better to just try and make the changes to prevent such things from happening. One way to do so is to start becoming more self reliant and by doing that I started a backyard vegetable garden. It was great and we ate like organic kings for a few months but I realized it wasn't enough. I didn't want to just be able to have good veggies and fruit in the summer, I wanted to also be able so enjoy those same things in the winter and spring so this year I will be expanding my garden again to up the production. I've also gone and convinced multiple people to do the same by helping them get started for free using what I've learned, no use charging for something I too learned for free. The next step naturally for me was chickens. So now I'm here and this spring will be getting four barred rock hens to be raised for eggs and to live out happy lives(I won't be using them for the meat since I plan on loving these girls)
    I'm very excited to hear all of your expirences and stories and meet some awesome people I'm sure to find here! Thanks for having me
    -urbanchange90

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Chickens and gardens are a great combination, feed one and fertilize the other. Good luck with your new flock in the spring.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! Your story certainly resonates with me, and I suspect it will to many on this site. Through a gradual process over the course of several years, we expanded our vegetable garden(s) on our one-acre piece of land, and then about a a year-and-a-half ago we got chickens. In climate we're now able to eat out of our gardens about 8-9 months of the year, and since I'm vegetarian, we don't have much in the way of meat expenses. On the other hand, we drink wine and the two of us share a bottle of cheap wine every night. In fact, I think we spend more on wine than on food.

1 person likes this.
  5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome & good for you!
    My partner & I sold up our business 3 years ago & moved to 15 acres to pursue our dream. It hasn't always gone to plan, but we've had a great deal of fun along the way!
    Chickens were our first livestock, followed by bees last year. This year we planted elderberry & serviceberry bushes - hopefully the deer will leave us some! We have always enjoyed a veggie garden, even when we were in town - it's just gotten bigger now [​IMG] We will be planting fruit trees next year and plan to stock the large pond with fish. If time and the good Lord bless us, we will start mushrooms too.
    Keep up the good work, Sue

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

8. urbanchange90

urbanchange90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for all the words of welcome folks. I hope to be able to contribute as much as possible to the site and spread what knowledge I learn from here to the others around me

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by