urban hen photos sought for use in 'brief'

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by henhopeful, Dec 19, 2008.

1. henhopeful

henhopeful New Egg

Dec 19, 2008
    As you can tell from my username, I have no hens at present. I live in a city where they are illegal and am working with a few people to try to change that fact. Right now we are composing a short document to present to city officials that explains a bit about urban chicken care. We want to make our document look pretty but the only chicken photos I can dig up look too 'rural' as they are of my dad's hens (and roosters), running happily around on the farm. I have been following various threads on this website and thought I would post here to see whether anyone would be willing to send me a photo of their urban hens and/or henhouse. We would want permission to use the picture where necessary, with whatever rights that requires.... Hoping to hear from ya - it's for a good cause:)

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Don't know if they would help, but you are welcome to the SUBurban photos from my site and blog ~

Click the link at the left for the website, and click the top-right "blog" button on the main page to get to the blog. There is a category search function on the left side of the blog if you just want the chicken items.

Good luck, and thank you for educating others about small-scale poultry keeping.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Check out the section on local laws and ordinances too for ideas!

4. henhopeful

henhopeful New Egg

Dec 19, 2008
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses! And Jenski you have such lovely photos in your blog. I will tell our technical expert about your blog - there's someone in my group who knows how to put photos into an Adobe document; hopefully they will be able to do so. Also, silkiechicken I will look at that section about the laws. I am from Alberta, by the way. Right now we're freezing up here. I keep pondering the technicalities of a warm coop. Getting ahead of myself though. [​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Check out my BYC page - full run-down of how & where we put our coop.

6. henhopeful

henhopeful New Egg

Dec 19, 2008
    I like that design and use of space!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here is the inside of my urban coop. (East-central Phoenix)

It has linoleum on the floor and we sweep and MOP the coop every week.

Droppings are used as fertilizer in our garden.

[​IMG]

Here is the coop with some of the young pullets

[​IMG]

Here is the unpainted coop and run. We have since painted it to match another outbuilding we have that stores garden equipment (and now chicken feed)

[​IMG]

Here are some of my mature laying hens.... we are allowed 20 here in Phoenix and my neighbor on the other side of the block wall loves the fresh eggs we regularly supply them.

[​IMG]

Hope these can help you.

The neighborhood to the south of us actually has free range chickens EVERYWHERE... the road signs have chickens on them, warning folks to drive slow. It's a regular, glorious chorus every morning with close to a hundred roos (and many more hens, guineas and pea fowl) crowing each morning.

8. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

9. henhopeful

henhopeful New Egg

Dec 19, 2008
    Thank you. I love the photos and I love the story of the chickens on the signpost! Here we are proposing 6 chickens, thinking that we are asking for the sky.... It's great to hear you are able to keep so many where you live.

Quote:

10. henhopeful

henhopeful New Egg

Dec 19, 2008
    this is great. My backyard has about the same amount of snow in it right now. Thank you!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by