1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urban lights and crowing quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cloudswinger, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cloudswinger

cloudswinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    I live in an urban area, and normally the quail are fairly quiet. The other night one of the quail was crowing all night, which bothers the chicken, who then also crow.(yea, I need to get rid of the crowing chickens before I get in trouble!) So last night I was out late, and put the chicken in their coop after dark. I noticed that the apartment complex across the street had replaced the light with a really bright light which happens to shine right into the quail cages. I covered them up and they were quiet again. It's generally pretty bright out at night anyway due to all the city lights, but this was ridiculous!

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ugh! I always hated that about urban living--the lights! When we moved to this place (which is inside city limits, but an old neighborhood with one-acre lots), there was a city lamp in our backyard, which the previous owner was very proud of because it lit up the entire backyard. Why??? Of course we had it disconnected--it's still there, but it doesn't shine. Nice, dark backyard.

Glad you figured out your problem and were able to fix it. [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    A Nice Bb Gun Would Make For Less Daily Work [​IMG]

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Careful there JJ, I went to jail for that years ago... course it was old Winchester 22 and on main st Tonganoxie... BUT STILL!! Cops take that stuff way too serious. BTW. you realize how may direct hits it take to put out a street light? lots a cracks but just would'nt go out. Thought for a while I was gonna have to reload... [​IMG] Thats what took so long and gave the cop time to get there... Bill

EDIT TI ADD: DESTRUCTION OF PUBLIC PROPERTY, DISCHARGE OF A FIRE ARM IN THE CITY LIMITS....

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:Careful there JJ, I went to jail for that years ago... course it was old Winchester 22 and on main st Tonganoxie... BUT STILL!! Cops take that stuff way too serious. BTW. you realize how may direct hits it take to put out a street light? lots a cracks but just would'nt go out. Thought for a while I was gonna have to reload... [​IMG] Thats what took so long and gave the cop time to get there... Bill

EDIT TI ADD: DESTRUCTION OF PUBLIC PROPERTY, DISCHARGE OF A FIRE ARM IN THE CITY LIMITS....

Thats why we always threw big rocks at them less noise for a faster getaway , but our arms were in shape back then [​IMG]

6. cloudswinger

cloudswinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    I don't think shooting out a light across the street from your own house would be good, just where would I go for a getaway?[​IMG]

The last time we had a dark backyard was after the hurricanes in 2004, we lost power for a week and saw a lot of stars. Now there's so much ambient light I can see my way around my yard without any flashlights, and I think I could read in the quail cage!

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Look At The Bright Side.... At Least You Wont Have To Put Out Supplimental Lights For Laying... [​IMG]

8. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by