Urban Mushing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Nov 29, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I took the dogs out again this weekend like usual, but I actually managed to get some pictures today! Here are Chewie (the tri-color), and Skippy (the brown one), doing what they love best!

Watching the other dogs and waiting for the scooter to be ready.
    [​IMG]

Hooked up and ready to go!
    [​IMG]

On the trail.
    [​IMG]

Stopped at the lake to get a drink and play in the sand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to head back!
    [​IMG]

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    That is so cool! It doesn't look like you would have much control over them though. Does it take much training?

3. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    VERY COOL!!

I drive my dogs to a sulky! Sure enjoyed your great photos, and the dogs look so happy to have a job. [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:You don't have too much physical control over them compared to being on a leash. There are brakes on the scooter so that I can slow or stop them if I need to, but which direction we go is up to them (I direct them with voice commands). My boys are still definitely in training (as am I), but they do pretty well. It's amazing how well most dogs will listen while they are actively working at something. They tend to block out distractions much better than in other situations.

The brown dog (Skippy), has only been running in harness for the last couple months and he still wants to sniff as he goes along. It helps a lot to have a more experienced or focused dog with him to keep him moving rather than pausing to sniff. I have been working with Chewie (the tri-color), since early this year though we did take the summer off. Chewie is a natural puller and has much more focus in harness than Skippy (his biggest downfall is other dogs). They are both getting much better at following voice commands however and I know that as time goes on, they will just improve. I just love that there is something I can do with them that is fun for all of us and really good for them!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. yoker

yoker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    nice pics!
    I trained our lab cross to pull a toboggen he loves it.

6. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have to ask , where did you find the harnesses? I have been looking at a lot of websites and havent found any that I liked until I saw the ones you have.
    I have a Malamute I want to train to pull like that , though on snow, I hate tarmac and I fall down a lot lol.
    thanks for the pics they look so happy.

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Very cool! My pit would LOVE to pull me along some country trail, if only I had a scooter or cart. Great way to burn off some energy.

Gypsy, a company called Black Ice sells dog mushing supplies.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know quite a few people who have ordered from Black Ice, our harnesses came from Alpine Outfitters.

Kansaseq, I just recently got the scooter. Before that, I used my bike. The bike is actually better in some situations, it allows you to help more easily and you are higher up to avoid water and mud (plus to get through the water or mud, you just have to pedal, not put your foot in it).

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Umm...your dogs were both standing in the road when a car was coming-looked kinda dangerous.

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Some years ago I watched a show on tv with a woman that did urban mushing. It did look like a lot of fun! I'll bet your dogs have a blast doing that!
    Thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by