Urban Myth or really happened???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by violetsky, Apr 14, 2011.

1. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    A long time ago I heard a story about a family who lived in an apartment in the city that
    noticed a pigeon trying to nest outside their window. They got an egg from the
    fridge and put it in the nest. One day they looked outside and were astonished to see
    a live chick in the nest. Is this story still circulating?

2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Unless it was a free range egg that never got cold, that can't happen. Store bought eggs aren't fertile. As for a pigeon hatching a chicken egg... I have no idea. [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

People hatch store eggs all the time. Most are not fertile but some are.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Legends are funny things. However, you've read about the folks here at BYC who are hatching eggs from Joe's market and places like that, which indeed are cold eggs and fertile as well?

5. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Quote:Isn't it only free range store bought though? I could have sworn that the run of the mill white ones were infertile.

6. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    Unless it was a bantam chicken egg, I doubt a pigeon would be able to incubate it. Probably not something you'd have sitting around your fridge if you live in an apartment.

I've hatched eggs after they've been a couple days in the fridge though

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  7. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    [​IMG] Now that doesn't seem to surprise me.. I was talking about the "mass produced" (if you can call it that) eggs from a normal grocery store. In all honesty I've never set foot in an organics store. [​IMG]

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I have seen fertile eggs at walmart before. I have hatched a few egg from a small local store that were not marked fertile too.

9. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I would have thought it a one in a million chance. Next time I incubate I'm going to get
    grocery store eggs and try one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by