Urban NYC community ex-battery chicken farm Needs Advice!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bushwick city farm, Jan 24, 2011.

1. bushwick city farm

bushwick city farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Hello All,
    We run a urban community garden in brooklyn, New York, which produces free food for the community. All of our 20 chcickens are rescued from battery farms, and currently enjoy a free range lifestyle, organic food & alot of love. Over the last year that we have had our feathered friends, we have lost 3, suddenly & to unknown causes. All the eggs produced by our girls are free for the community, as are all the veggies we grow. It is exremely important therefore that we know the hens are healthy. We have tried finding vets in the area which treat chickens, however in New York City it is nearly impossible. We would like to do a blood test, if possible, to know for certain if the hens are ill, and if so, what illness they have. We are certain that some our girls have had a cold (weezing, red face). For more details about our city farm & for pics of our hens take a look -www.bushwickcityfarm.wordpress.com . If anyone knows if a blood test for poultry illnesses is possible, please let me know, it will be much appreciated. thanks - Masha & Vinny

2. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    You might get better results by posting this in Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures
    Hope this will get you the help you seek.

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Never mind [​IMG] I see you already had done just that. [​IMG]

4. pipthepeep

pipthepeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    I don't really have an answer for you, but I would suggest maybe contacting your local Cooperative Extension office...they usually have people that can point you in the right direction...I believe there is an office for the Five Boroughs, but maybe if you called one of the more "rural" offices, they would be better able to help you?

Here is a link...I am sure someone would be able to help or at least point you in the correct direction:)

http://cce.cornell.edu/learnAbout/pages/local_offices.aspx

By the way, sounds like awesome work you are doing! I studied a lot about urban farming/ sustainable agriculture in college and always found city gardens to be fascinating and something we need more of:)

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Great job in urban chicken farming! We certainly need more that would feed their families!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by