Urban Playhouse Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eastvanchicken, Apr 26, 2009.

1. eastvanchicken

eastvanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    Finally finished (mostly) a playhouse coop. It fits under a deck and remains dry all winter long on this very wet coast. As I am completely incompetent in such matters, thank goodness I had my little helper!

PS. We are starting out with two sex links and over the years hope to add another two hens. At which point we will double the run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very nice coop [​IMG]

and neat design

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Hello from Olympia, WA - I have family down your way in Longview, Kalama and Vancouver. It does rain a lot (and snow) doesn't it?

That is a really great little coup. What is the railing on top? Looks kinda like your chicks have their own deck.

Can't wait to see pics of the chicks in their new space.

4. eastvanchicken

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    There is a ladder and a little deck. Our child is looking forward to climbing up and getting eggs. We're looking forward to him being really careful!
    [​IMG]

5. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:now that is just awesome! can it hold a bigger person? can you get into the coop another way?

6. eastvanchicken

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Hello from Olympia, WA - I have family down your way in Longview, Kalama and Vancouver. It does rain a lot (and snow) doesn't it?

That is a really great little coup. What is the railing on top? Looks kinda like your chicks have their own deck.

Can't wait to see pics of the chicks in their new space.

Thanks. Any suggestions on when the girls might get out of our studio and into the coop in this climate? They are three weeks old now..​

7. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    That is a great coop! Very innovative...I might have to steal that plan for my bantie coop [​IMG]

8. eastvanchicken

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    Quote:now that is just awesome! can it hold a bigger person? can you get into the coop another way?

Yep. It is cozy but we are smaller in stature and can relatively comfortably get around in there. It is 4x4x about 4. The roof can be detached for big cleans etc. The back of the run comes off completely for cleaning.

In fact I was working inside and my son thought it was really funny to shut ... and lock ... the door. And run away. I tried very hard not to laugh ... or panic.

9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    http://lisahaschickens.wordpress.com/

Above is a link to Lisa who I found through this site who is down your way and she put hers out at age 2 wks I believe.

I didn't put mine out until they were 6 wks old mainly because I didn't get my horse stall turned chicken coop done and ready for them any sooner.

Then I had them in their coop for 2 wks before I got the run done but must say, I think that was great because they weren't affraid to go out to the run or put themselves to bed when it gets dark.

Mine love to sit on their tree roost when the sun goes down and then they go in the coop when it's dark.

I have my HUGE stock tank brooder in the coop still with the red heat lamp on at night. They still opt to sleep in there over the roost I put in.

Good luck with your chicks. They are a joy to watch.

[​IMG]

10. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Great use of space and way to deal with the wet! My kids would love a coop like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by