Urban roo's, necklaces, and roo-boxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eklecktika, May 20, 2011.

1. Eklecktika

Eklecktika New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    It figures that of my 8 pullets, 2 were roosters. I'd have no qualms about eating them, it weren't that my favorite australorp, "Alice", was one of them. The RIR will go to freezer camp soon, as he's not a pleasant bird already. (I'm rapidly losing my high opinion of RIRs...always thoguht they were pretty. Australorps are far nicer, IMO)

I have a good friend with a pair of daughters that would love a pet roo, but I'd really like to keep 'her'-lol'myself.

I have neighbors on all sides-as in, within probably 50 feet of the coop on two sides, and 75 on the other, so crow-suppression is of rather high priority.

Is the rumor of roo's not being able to crow with a neck strap true or a old wives tale? He's only 9 weeks old, so will obviously grow a lot between now and full size, but for the sake of flock integrity and well, I like him-I'd like to keep him around.

If it IS true, where would I find more info? I've searched high and low, but not finding anything that appears reputable. Obviously there's the "ol' college try" method, but there's such a wealth of knowledge here, I'm sure someone has been there, done that.

Any suggestions?

(I've thought of a roo box, which would be great for all but the approx 1-2 nights a month I'm out of town; It's so hot here in summer that I hate to do that as well. It's last resort (well, 2nd to last, anyway.))

Thank you!

2. newgoosegirl

newgoosegirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    You can always bring him inside in a cat/dog crate every night and stick a towel over him - even if he does crow, the neighbors won't hear it until you decide it's a decent hour. [​IMG]

If my banty roo gets much louder and the neighbors/my mom complain, that's what I plan to do. When I've had him in a crate with a towel before, he just decided it was bedtime. Hope that this helps you!

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I know a girl who puts her roo in a hamper every night and brings him into the house...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by