Urgant Baby Turkey foot swollen and limping.

BirdLadyBirge

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2021
Turkey souple weeks old don't have much to go on he was a present from family bought at costal farm supply on April 1st
Right foot swollen it's trying not to put any weight on it. I checked for black spot and found nothing on it's lil foot.
Really noticed about 13 hous ago he was swollen but 36 hous ago he had started limping.
His brooder buddy (5 day younger Turkey) is NOT exhibiting any symptoms
The only sign of trauma is limping and swollen foot
I have no idea what could have caused this.
He seems to be eating and drinking fine poop is normal. Not sure how to treat or what to do don't want to fo something wrong so I purchased medicated feed and prebiotic water powder. I would like to treat him myself hoping not to have to go to vet but will if I have to.
Him and his brooder buddy are in a 2x2x4 galvanized stock tank like they were in at the farm supply place I have the temp set right and using pine shavings like I've done with all of my poultry.

Attachments

• 20210409_192457.jpg
    20210409_192457.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 42
It might be a sprain or fracture that will heal over the next few weeks with rest. Could it have jumped or been stepped on and had an injury? Keep an eye out for any wounds to show up.

It might be a sprain or fracture that will heal over the next few weeks with rest. Could it have jumped or been stepped on and had an injury? Keep an eye out for any wounds to show up.
He has a tiny roost in the brooder it's only like 5 inches off the ground I guess he could have jumped from it and possibly got injured... he has a brooder buddy which is a smaller younger Turkey and haven't seen them fighting if anything they are besties if I'm holding one of them the other cries in the brooder til they are back together and they sleep next to eachother..
I'll keep an eye out for wounds and watch his habits he has been eating and drinking been getting around the brooder to do so.. and if I notice him stop I will hand feed...

Should I wrap his foot if it's a sprain?

Most likely an injury or sprain or even a pulled tendon. If it doesn’t improve within a month, I know MS can cause swelling of the feet.

*update*

So the swelling is down the vet said he had a sprain and wasn't healing because his food had to high of protein so we changed him to a lower medicated feed and today he is doing better when he is 6 weeks old we change him back to his normal high protein feed. He is walking better and feeling better sharing a pic of Gilligan and brooder buddy Elmer

Attachments

• 20210410_194009.jpg
    20210410_194009.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 4
Glad that he is doing better. I am not sure why a wound would not heal because of too much protein, but follow your vet’s advice.

Back
Top Bottom