1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT! 100+ Pigeons (mostly Highfliers) surrendered and needing homes

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Mary Of Exeter, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    The Lucky Dog pet shop has surrendered all of their pigeons (and some chickens), which are well over 100 birds. Mickacoo has rescued them and are trying desperately to find new homes for them all, as well as temporary foster homes as they are already way overcrowded with other birds awaiting adoption. PLEASE if you have room in your loft and your heart, consider taking in some of these sweet birds! They'll make great pets, and the highfliers can be resettled to make great fliers (very calming and entertaining to watch in the air!).

Here are pictures from the rescue:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/AdoptKings/RescuedLuckyDogPigeonsMovedIntoMickaCooFosterCare#

Mickacoo's website is:
    www.mickacoo.org

Online application for adopting pigeons/doves:
    http://mickaboo.org/apply-mickacoo.html

Some birds fostered by Elizabeth (member of Mickacoo) which are also for adoption. See the left sidebar for info on each bird and it's status.
    http://www.rescuereport.org

For more information, contact Elizabeth at [email protected]

MICKACOO DOES SHIP PIGEONS AND DOVES!!!! On the website it may say that they do not ship, but THEY DO! The reason it says that is because they also foster exotic birds like parrots, which cannot be shipped from the shelter.

I have a pair of racers that I adopted from Mickacoo, and I can tell you that they are very nice, caring people to work with, who only want the best for the birds. They're nonprofit, and a lot of birds need medical care when they come in. So even if you can't adopt, then you can still help by donating or buying Mickacoo/Mickaboo merchandise.
    http://www.cafepress.com/mickaboo/6974885

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh, they have a flock of 10 doves?!?!?! How I wish I had shipping money!

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Wish I could help

4. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:Yes, they have quite a few doves [​IMG] There may be some generous people out there who would help you pay for shipping. I was helped - in fact all of the costs were donated, so that I could adopt for free! So if money is all that's holding you back, contact Elizabeth and she'll see if anyone can help you out [​IMG] A lot of people want to help, but can't personally take in birds due to lack of space. So they may be generous enough to put them in your loft instead.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Yes, they have quite a few doves [​IMG] There may be some generous people out there who would help you pay for shipping. I was helped - in fact all of the costs were donated, so that I could adopt for free! So if money is all that's holding you back, contact Elizabeth and she'll see if anyone can help you out [​IMG] A lot of people want to help, but can't personally take in birds due to lack of space. So they may be generous enough to put them in your loft instead.

Wouldn't that be nice? [​IMG] I have plenty of room but am low on funds...I'll see what I can figure out [​IMG]

6. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Shelley Like Mary said shipping can be worked around if you can provide a good home. Talk to Elizabeth, I adopted 6 birds from her.

7. mckenzie

mckenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    How much is it to adopt them?

8. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    $20 per bird.

9. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Thanks for posting this Mary [​IMG],

Today I actually moved my doves into a better pen with more room and I was thinking of getting some diamond doves to put with them, maybe instead of buying them from the pet store I'll adopt. On the website it did say they don't ship, but if your saying they do then I might give it a try.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  10. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Birdman I live in White Plains Ny and have adopted 3x from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by