Urgent! 2wk Polish anorexic. All bony, social and active *PICS added*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChooksChick, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I've broken down and force-fed her some baby parrot food. She hates me for it.

I've got vitamins and electrolytes in their water, medicated starter, on a clean towel on the floor in a clean bathroom. They are spoiled rotten and everyone is doing lovely, including the cross-beaked EE, who is getting more extreme by the day.

For the past few days I've been feeding her chopped scrambled eggs, oatmeal, ANYTHING with protein that could keep her going. She'll eat a few bites and walk off. Today I even brought home a 50 pack of mini meal worms for them to go nuts over, and she ate 3, then lay down.

She looks great, but bony. Bright eyes, nice poops, tries to get around, but is weak and breathes heavily as though she's got a heart condition (maybe she does?)

I can't get her appetite to kick in. I even thawed some frozen corn and chopped it up- talk about a mad frenzy!!! She kept walking away with no interest.

I can't get her to eat any of the things she ate during the last few days. I'm fairly certain she won't make it without daily intervention at this point- at least a few times a day, in fact. She's too thin and weak.

I thought it was a leg issue and posted here last week, but I really think it's just no desire to eat and utter weakness. I'm at a loss!

Any ideas out there?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It sounds to me like you've done everything you can.

She may have a bowel obstruction, an impacted crop, a dried or clogged vent...

I wish I had a better answer for you, but if all of the others are doing well it sounds as if nature is going to take its course. [​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Her poop is perfect, and I've seen two in the last hour and a half. Her crop filled 1/2 way or so before I stopped forcing her the baby food. She just doesn't seem to like eating.

I see her pick food up and drop it, like she can't swallow, but then I'll see her swallow fine...it's too hard to tell what's going on...but she really doesn't look at food or care to eat most of the time. The occasional game of keep-away with the other chicks gets her attention, but she only plays for a second.

She could not care in the least that I put out oatmeal mixed w/heavy cream, mashed eggs, bread crumbs, pie crust crumbs (from hen fruit pie from supper last night), or anything like that. A peck here, a peck there...like a supermodel.

I can't stand the stress!!! I don't need a high-maintenance chick!! [​IMG]

Her crop is never full, and she's bone-thin.

You can see her leg bones in her back when she lays down and drops her wings.
    [​IMG]

She's gangly but sooooooo sweet. I love the little thing. Phyllis is adorable!
    [​IMG]

**Edited because I'm a grammar nazi

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by