URGENT! 38Chicks alive,all SHRINK WRAPPED,Day24!*UPDATE* 1chick dead)=

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msheets, May 15, 2010.

1. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Ok it's day 24 & I just discovered all of my chicks are alive & all of them are seriously shrink wrapped! I moved the entire incubator to my smallest bathroom & have hot water on full blast. The few eggs I took the shell away around the aircell still have membranes with blood vessels so what next? Do I leave them in the bathroom until their membranes loosen? How long will it take for them to absorb their blood vessels? Do I drop some warm water on their membranes & help them out? I know they're going to die soon if not somehow saved, for the quickest help could someone please call me & walk me through what I can do? All 38 eggs are on day 24 & alive! (304)951-0408

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Wrap the egg in a warm, wet cloth allowing the beak room to breath - that will help soften it up.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I wish I had an answer!

Hang in there though, someone will be on by to read this and help

4. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    wow day 24? I say start hatching them...they are just too plain week to get out now. At least try and save them

edit: tried calling you but no answer [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
  5. bahamas

bahamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    yes a damp warm clot over the eggs .

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Would they be best off to get the beaks out for air and then let those membranes dry a little. If they peel it away too fast, wont they bleed?

Just wonderin'

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I also use a spray bottle of water and mist them. Chip away the egg shell exposing the dried membrane and lightly mist the membrane until it is translucent. If they are day 24 there shouldn't be much chance of bleed-out. Try making a small tear in the membrane near the beak and then wait and see what it does after that. If you tear it and it does start bleeding just keep it moist until the baby can hatch itself. I had a crushed egg under a hen yesterday and it had a shrink wrapped baby in it. I misted it and peeled it and it's fine.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If there's still blood in the veins there's really not much you can do for them other than up the humidity and hope for the best. Your temps must have been low for them to be that far behind.

9. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    OMG thank you for all the quick replies! All of the chicks actually have pretty veiny membranes that bleed when even slightly ripped, still tear it enough to let them breath? Also do i keep the lid off the incubator while i do this or just take one out at a time? My bathroom is pretty hot & humid! Where I'm on my cell phone using the internet it sometimes won't let calls come through, I'll try everything mentioned & update/check back in a couple minutes! Thanks so much!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I wouldn't be opening the membranes....they can bleed out if they're not ready and if they bleed that easily they are not ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by