1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT! 4 month old hen - lethargic/not eating/droopy wings/falls over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WillowISA, Jun 17, 2011.

1. WillowISA

WillowISA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    So Willow is about 4 months old now we figure and on Wed. morning she was lethargic, not eating, pale comb, and had blood in runny stool. Took her to work (exotic vet with some avian exp.) and she perked up while there. Took an x-ray and she has 3 foreign bodies which I have no idea where she got them as well as a lot of "stuff" in her stomach. I'm thinking corn and grit from the night before. She came home and began eating normally and acting like usual. I also gave her some plain yogurt in case it was crop problems and her fecal (sent out two samples) were no ova seen.

Today she's still quieter than usual, but eating mostly normal. She's running around the house (she was raised indoors...we didn't think she'd live past chick-dom) normally. Her feet do seem chilled, but other than that and the more quiet moments, she's normal. She is still having some bloody loose stool, but also having normal formed stools. The objects were in her crop (white on x-rays, but seemed to be multiple round objects...maybe her grit?), her esophagus (off white and oval in shape...seems porous), and her stomach (bright white, tear drop/ovally shape with 5 "slits" around edge and in middle). We have no idea what they are.

Can anyone shed light on what I should do next? Thanks!

Saranna

ETA: She does have a hutch outside and is out 8-10 hours a day.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    She's a house chicken? maybe she got ahold of something like marbles? Styrofoam? Buttons? Something? There is no way from the x-ray to tell what the objects are? What are the options for finding out? Sorry can't help much...

3. WillowISA

Jun 17, 2011
    None of those are an option...that's why it's tough. This morning she's lethargic again and falling when she walks. Her wings are also droopy...like she can't hold them up. Now what???? When she's running around we close off access to rooms that she would be able to get into something and keep an eye on her, so I have no idea where these objects came from. Unless one of the cats left something around that she found interesting.

4. WillowISA

Jun 17, 2011
    Came home and she began throwing herself around. Now she's standing there and her head keeps dropping forward/down. She catches herself though and brings it back up. She's also a bit fluffed up. Any ideas please? I'm getting really worried now.

5. WillowISA

Jun 17, 2011
    I guess she's not going to make it through the night. Now she's liting her head, bawking once and then lays her head back down with her beak open. It looks like she just had a small seizure as well. If anyone could still shed light on this it would be appreciated. At this point I am more suspicious of an illess instead of the foreign bodies because on x-ray it seems they should pose no problem with passing. If no one has any guesses I understand...it's just so hard. She's the only chicken I've ever had and this pretty much makes me not want to even try again....

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Cocci. Get her on CORID ASAP

7. WillowISA

Jun 17, 2011
    I don't have corid and have no idea what it is? Both of her fecals were negative...wouldn't it show if it was causing this much problem?

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Blood in stool is normally coccidia unless she has internal bleeding . Corid is a liquid that they use for cattle, you can find it at tractor supply . Try to keep her hydrated. If she won't drink then take some water mixed with vitamins, pull up the skin behind her neck/shoulders and inject a few cc's under skin. Keep her warm and still until you can get either Corid or Sulmet.

9. WillowISA

Jun 17, 2011
    Does coccidia also cause her to "vomit" clear foam and seize? If she's still here in the AM I will go get it though....

10. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    This is not going to help if you don't have any on hand but GSE is kind of a fix all. You could also try colloidial silver. It doesn't sound like cocci to me but if it was, vitamin e is supposed to help. If you have nothing on hand, I would give her a big dose of vitamin c and force feed lots of water to help flush her system. MMS is also good for anything, even poisoning and you can bath them in it when they aren't taking anything by mouth. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I would definitely get some of these things and have on hand for future use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by