**URGENT** 4 week old baby chick sneezing!! Please! Help!! **URGENT**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sandbellie, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    So I just got 4 baby chicks and their mother on Saturday. They all seem to be doing fine except for one. She is sneezing, frequently. And she seems sort of droopy.
    I noticed a few sneezes yesterday, but gave her some water. (Thinking it was a clogged beak). But today when I got home the sneezing seems worse, and I'm trying to figure out what to do!!! I don't want to take the baby away from her mom and buddies. Could I take her and another chick? And leave two with the mom? It is fairly chilly out, also.

Can someone give me heavily detailed step-by-step instructions? Please?

All help is appreciated. Thanks...

**Additional Information Will Be Added If I Think Of Something Else**

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    How old is the chick? A week old or 4 weeks old?

3. Sandbellie

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:About 4 weeks old.

4. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I'm sure there are many others who know more about this than I do. I am not very experienced. I got my first pullets in May at 8 weeks old. After a few days, one developed sneezing and a nasal discharge. I did a lot of research and learned that chickens do not get colds. I called my vet, who also treats birds, and she suggested I give all of my pullets an antibiotic for upper respiratory conditions. So, I gave them Duramycin-10 mixed in their water. The dosage was 1Tablespoon in a gallon of water for 7 days. I did this and all sneezing stopped. If you don't want to give an antibiotic, as many folks do not, you might give vitamins mixed in their water.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Sandbellie

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Please...someone help... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by