Urgent! 4week old chick not responsive, puffed up.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newtochickens1988, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Newtochickens1988

Newtochickens1988 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018
    Lost one chick already who was panting and droopy/ unresponsive. Need help with other sick chick - same age! No longer panting but still puffed up and not alert/responsive. Also sounds like she’s wheezing a little bit now. Spoon feeding her water and have her separated. Pic attached.

Attached Files:

2. Newtochickens1988

Apr 16, 2018
    She seems a little more alert when I’m handling her and trying to get her to drink but then goes back to what I can only really describe as a “sleeping” state.

3. MissMaple

MissMaple Chirping

Mar 1, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Can you give her Save a Chick electrolytes? They do wonders. Is she still under a heating lamp?

4. Broodygranny

Broodygranny Songster

Mar 23, 2018
    I don't know what it is, but I give mine plain yogurt if they act droopy. It has protein and probiotics.

New2chicluv likes this.
  5. Newtochickens1988

Apr 16, 2018
    I just moved her back under a heat lamp after being away from it for over an hour. I will pick up some of the save a chick today. And hopefully I can find an eye dropper because the spoon is a hassle to try and get her to drink with. Hopefully I didn’t aspirate her.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A common cause of illness in a 4 week old chick is coccidiosis, which can cause runny or bloody poops, lethargy, fluffing up or hunched posture, and no appetite. Corid is best to treat that in the water. Have you been using heat until she feathers out completely?
    Did she come from a hatchery or feed store?

7. Newtochickens1988

Apr 16, 2018
    The corid wouldn’t hurt them Even if they don’t have coccidiosis?

RedBanks likes this.
  8. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Panting and holding the wings out to the sides like that indicate overheating. A full strength heat lamp bulb inside a home is way too much heat. You only need one small warm zone. The brooder needs to be large enough for the heat to dissipate, allowing for a large portion of the brooder to be unheated.

RedBanks, Kat C and Newtochickens1988 like this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid is safe even if it is not coccidiosis. Use a cheap thermometer under your heat lamp to make sure that it isn’t too hot. Sick chicks may need more heat, but at her age 75 defrees F is normal. 80 degrees F for sick chicks is good.

Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Look for it in the cattle medicines in a feed store.

RedBanks and Newtochickens1988 like this.
  10. Grits&Eggs

Grits&Eggs Songster

Apr 16, 2018
    Florida
    Worried for you, good luck, may want to switch to an eco glow instead of a heat lamp, much more dependable heat source concentrated in a small area that they can move from when ready.

Newtochickens1988 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: