Urgent advice needed - landlord cleaning exterior of house

KiwiSue49

Chirping
Oct 28, 2018
hi,
Tomorrow morning a maintenance guy coming to clean outside of house.
He said he was using Janola (bleach).
No bleach will be used on exterior wall where chickens have their dust bath, or where veges are growing.
Belatedly I was thinking that one of the other walls has all concrete between it and a fence. Sometimes the chickens walk on the concrete.
Even if residue is washed away onto lawn, the chickens free range.
Has anyone here cleaned with bleach outside?
The guy said the outside did not look too bad.
Would it be safer just to use water?
Cheers, Sue.

I have used bleach on my siding it works great. It will be diluted with water although it would be a strong concentration. He will likely rinse the bleach with pure water after all the mould is is deactivated. This will further dilute the bleach.
1)You could use a garden hose and further dilute the area.
2) you could contain the hens a day or two and give the area a good second dilution with the garden hose.
Bleach is also used to clean new wells to kill bacteria etc. Most municipal water supplies have a form of bleach in their water systems.
Just my opinion I would do steps 1&2

I have used bleach on my siding it works great. It will be diluted with water although it would be a strong concentration. He will likely rinse the bleach with pure water after all the mould is is deactivated. This will further dilute the bleach.
1)You could use a garden hose and further dilute the area.
2) you could contain the hens a day or two and give the area a good second dilution with the garden hose.
Bleach is also used to clean new wells to kill bacteria etc. Most municipal water supplies have a form of bleach in their water systems.
Just my opinion I would do steps 1&2
Thank you Stepnout.
I was worried about chickens getting sick from contact with residue.
They will be cooped up while he is cleaning. Said it Cld take 3 hours as he is cleaning the guttering as well.
Appreciate your advice. Will see if he can dilute the mixtures as well.
Cheers, Sue.

Diluted bleach in the lawn isn't going to hurt anything, but further diluting with a garden hose isn't a bad idea. FWIW, though, unless they are labeled for potable water, garden hoses contain lead in the PVC inner liner that can leach into the water. Hoses in the US come with this warning.

Thank you Stepnout.
I was worried about chickens getting sick from contact with residue.
They will be cooped up while he is cleaning. Said it Cld take 3 hours as he is cleaning the guttering as well.
Appreciate your advice. Will see if he can dilute the mixtures as well.
Cheers, Sue.
He will need to have the application quite strong to kill the mildew and alge but when he rinses the wall it will likely be just water. After it is clean you or he can further dilute the area you are concerned about.
You can check YouTube about cleaning siding with bleach. There are several videos. It requires less high pressure

Diluted bleach in the lawn isn't going to hurt anything, but further diluting with a garden hose isn't a bad idea. FWIW, though, unless they are labeled for potable water, garden hoses contain lead in the PVC inner liner that can leach into the water. Hoses in the US come with this warning.
Wow did not realize about the lead. Is the lead in the PVC or the fittings? What would be the suggested lead free hose?

Back
Top Bottom