URGENT - Advice needed....Pipped Egg seeping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4boysmom, Mar 6, 2009.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    My 1st egg from this hatch pipped almost 24 hours ago. I just walked in from work & it was seeping a little goo out the hole which was no larger than when I left this morning. The chick is still alive & chirping a little, so I took it out of the incubator and carefully ( with tweezers ) broke away a little more shell around the hole and tried to give it a little more breathing space. There was a tiny amount of bleeding from the membrane, so I didn't do anymore to that.....how do I proceed from here? I'd hate to lose the little chick, but don't want to do too much or too little helping.

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

leave it in the bator & as hard as it is...don't open the lid!

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ugh I hope someone that knows more then me comes on soon. All I can say is make shure to keep it moist so it dosnt dry out, maybe damp paper towls .

4. 4boysmom

Jun 12, 2007
    Quote:I had barely raised the lid to pull it out - & I put a warm wet paper towel in when I put it back so that my humidity would be ok - it stayed perfect!

It is still breathing, so maybe it will strengthen - I just didn't want it to drown in the goo without having a chance

5. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I understand but it is best not to do anything my last hatch one piped on day 19 and then half zipped and was the 3rd one to hatch late day 21.

6. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    If it doesn't get itself out soon it will have bad defects. You will have to kill it.

7. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    JJparke How will it have bad deffects ? I have never heard of that . If she were to help it out it would prob not make it letting it hatch on its own it most likly will

8. SummerwindNC

SummerwindNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Camden, NC
    As a last resort I use a wet warm paper towel, kinda make nest for the egg...ever so gently of course. Sometimes it really works! Then I go to bed......because I just can't take it anymore. OY, I hate that!!!

Good luck with your hatch!

KAT

9. 4boysmom

Jun 12, 2007
    Well, Saturday, I finally helped it a little more. Chipped away gently at the shell, then put it in the bator with a warm wet paper towel wrapped around it.... worked on it more later. Lucky Lucy ( as the boys have names her ) is doing pretty well. She is still smaller than the others, but she is eating & drinking and moving around really well. She should catch up soon. I was worried Sat, but yesterday & this morning, she has made great improvements with eating and drinking. She is also getting more active.

I had to soak some of the membrane off her - she would never have made it out, it was like she was glued to the membrane & shell. I will post pictures a little later

10. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by