1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED: Rooster attacked by dog 48 hours ago

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lilranchgirl, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Lilranchgirl

Lilranchgirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    I acquired a young fully feathered sex link rooster that was attacked by a dog about 48 hours ago. I've been working on him for the past 24 hours after having to amputate 4/5ths of his comb that was darn near ripped off. After successfully removing the last of the necrotic comb and cauterising the bleeding, I've been focusing on fluids orally with probiotics and electrolytes. I also gave him 0.1 mls of B12 24 hours ago. I have injectable antibiotics, I just don't know how much to give. (Penicillin, Nuflor)

He will not eat. He is heavily bruised and though his neck and back are not broken, he has a hard time holding up his head. (He absolutely can if he wants or needs to.)

Anything is welcomed at this point. I want this guy to live. He's fought this long! He's a rockstar stud for fighting through all of this pain! Tough lil rooster Marine! (I can say that...I was a Marine. LOL!)

Thanks in advance for you help. "Bernie" thanks you too!

2. Lilranchgirl

Dec 21, 2013
    I forgot to add that he has fluid coming from one ear that is blood tinged. When he holds his head down, it glues his eye shut on that side.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is he drinking the water? That is more important than food right now, but try to entice him with scrambled egg. If he continues to not eat, tube feeding might be something you would want to do. Are there any puncture wounds on him? Make sure any are cleaned with peroxide, Neosporin applied, and kept open for a couple of days to prevent abscess. He could be suffering from internal injuries that he may not survive. The bloody ear drainage is worrisome. Procaine Penicillin G dosage is 1/4 to 1/2 ml daily into the breast muscle for 4 days. Draw it up with an 18 gauge needle after shaking bottle well, and replace needle with 20 gauge to give the med after warming to room temperature--keep vial in fridge. I'm not familiar with Nuflor.

4. downrangechick

downrangechick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    NE Michigan
    My ameraucana got caped by my neighbours dog. It was horrible. I thought he was dead until he chirped at my dh. I brought him inside and seen that there was a flap of neck skin hanging. I had to remove it. Then I cleaned it with a teaspoon on peroxide to a cup of water. I sprayed blu kote on him put neosporin on gauze and wrapped his neck in it. I did this everyday for about 3 weeks. He wouldn't eat or drink so I took my dd medicine dropper and force fed him water, yogurt, anything liquid really with calories and protein. I didn't have animal antibiotics at the time but had some old ones of mine. So I cut a amoxicillin 500 in half and liquefied it in a cup of pedialite. He healed within a month with some feathering coming back. Chickens are resilient if there is no internal damage. I wish you the best.

5. Lilranchgirl

Dec 21, 2013
    Ok, I've been over and over him and just did again making sure he doesn't have any puncture wounds. I still haven't found any so that's a bit of good news. I am forcing the fluids with a dropper bottle. He did however loose all of his tail feathers and quite a bit on his backside. I don't see blood anywhere else except the little bit in his ear fluid. Lots of bruising tho.

I wonder if the oral antibiotics would be less traumatizing than a shot in his badly bruised breast? Gunna think on that one.

6. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used Corona (not the beer) on all open wounds for all of my animals and even myself on occasion. Neosporin is okay, but Corona is thicker and stays put better. It also has a faster healing time. One of my hens broke a nail off. By the second day it wasn't even raw. I took the cover off washed it and let it air over night. This hen had been dripping blood when I came in to check them before locking the coop for the night of that first day. Great stuff. I highly recommend it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    Sure hope your boy survives ! Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Just a FYI you may already know. NEVER use an antibotic with pain releaver in it. Can't find the right word right now ~ need more coffee. Another Rx I have used is VETERICYN ~ expensive but goes a long way. It is a liquid which allows air to a wound. Available at Tractor Supply ~ unless they are out of it which seems to be the case with them ~ 3 out of 4 things I will go after. Oh, the word is 'caine'. Good luck with the little roo.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Call your vet Monday to see if you can get some Clavamox or Cephalexin. They may have another suggestion. Most feed stores don't have penicillin for oral use. Tetracycline probably isn't strong enough. Or just wait and see on antibiotics. I hope his brain isn't injured with the bloody fluid in the ear.

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I agree Eggcessive blood tinged fluid from ear is a great concern as it could indicate a skull fracture. Are his pupils on both eyes the same or unequal in size? Could also be a ruptured eardrum,but i'm really concerned about skull fracture.

Make sure he is kept warm as birds that are ill/injured cannot regulate their body temp. He is probably in considerable pain,but b/c of unknown head trauma i would not advise giving aspirin for pain,my reason is internal bleeding.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. Lilranchgirl

Dec 21, 2013
    He's stable today but still not eating or drinking. Pupils are equally reactive to light and the same shape and size. He is holding himself upright for linger periods of time and is MUCH more aware of my presence when I'm nearby. He's almost relieved to see me when I come in as he takes a deep sigh and closes his eyes and rests for awhile.

I have Amoxicillin 500mg capsules and Clindamycin 150mg capsules as well as IM antibiotics. Other than that, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing as he is showing improvement everyday.

Keeping fingers crossed!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by