Urgent Advice Needed: Slipping tendon/ligament in gosling leg

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ChikNCoop, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ChikNCoop

ChikNCoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    Hello all,

We purchased 5 goslings from our local co-op almost 3 weeks ago. Earlier this week I noticed our single Toulouse (we were only able to get 1 - there was a hatching problem and no others made it) has a limp/walking issue. I suspected niacin and vitamin deficiencies and have thus supplement water and feed. Today I see the problem is indeed a slipping tendon. She eats well, drinks well and is happy. However, when she goes to take a step she has issues. Her tendon functions properly to straighten the leg and stays in place during this operation, but upon shifting her full weight to that leg the tendon rolls to the inside and her leg is left in an unnatural bowed position. There is currently no swelling in the joint. Is there hope that the groove to hold the tendon properly in place will develop? Our geese will be free range during the day on 18 acres with a large pond. I do not want her to live a life in agony due to pain and her inability to keep up with the other four as well as an inability to properly escape a predator should one make it past us.

I'm an animal 'mom' to many and am familiar numerous medical issues including luxating patellas and tendons in our dogs and cats. They, however, live indoors and I am able to "fix" their legs when such an incident occurs. Geese are new to us and so are their problems. We have ducks with no issues.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    If you have any vet tape, you can try to help support the joint but usually tendon problems with geese don't resolve by themselves. A vet that works with avians will usually amputate at the knee joint and help fit with a small prosthetic. We had a buff gosling that got stuck under the pile of it's clutch mates that was similarly injured. We couldn't afford a vet and ended up culling her when she was 2. She got around okay but winter was really hard on her and we just couldn't let her suffer. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that giving the leg some extra support works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by