Urgent Advice Needed - Stray Goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sweetened, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sweetened

Sweetened Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Hey Guys!

I need a little help with a decision.

On the drive home last night I saw a lone white goose with an orange crest (kind of like the pictures of Chinese geese I see in my books though s/he was at a bit of a distance) just sitting in a plowed out field. I thought it was odd as the Geese began flying south at the end of last month, the cold snap has settled in for the most part at night (freezing the past couple nights) and I haven’t seen any straggling flocks flying out in over a week.

Anyway, I didn’t think a whole lot of it other than that until this morning. When we drove out to the city for work, s/he was still sitting there in almost the same spot. I’m wondering if this is a tame goose that got loose or lost and was thinking about seeing if I can catch her/him today on my way home if s/he’s still there.

I would have to keep the goose indoors partially as I look for an owner seeing as I don’t move out to the ranch until November and don’t have facilities prepared for her/him. Besides that, my town has a blanket law covering all feathered fiends from parrots to poultry, banning them as barn animals (this law also does not allow even pet rabbits to be kept in the limits of town). Albeit, my neighbours wouldn’t complain, but this town is snoopy and someone is liable to open their mouths if I build a temporary keeping house outdoors.

Can geese be housed indoors in, say, an unfinished basement temporarily? What measures need to be taken to keep one safe there for that time? What’s your general advice on this matter?

Thanks so much.

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Sweetened

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    This is a handy page indeed! Helpful, thankyou!

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

You are welcome [​IMG]
    Good luck with your rescue

5. Sweetened

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quick bump to see if there's any more advice.

6. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Geese poop a lot - the smell isn't horrible but it is dirty of course. Otherwise I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. You could bring it greens to eat from outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by