Urgent advice on splayed legs...pic added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amydurose, Oct 10, 2010.

1. amydurose

amydurose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    Ive taken the plasters off my chicks legs today after 7 days. Should I re-add them or do you think she (i think its a she) will be ok. Ive never done this before and really dont know what to do for the best with them.

[​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    That's tough - after 7 days they should be OK, yours is standing, I see, so maybe a day or two to adjust on paper towels will help? then, if it can't stand, I wsould do the leg tying again. Your chick actually looks really good!!!

3. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    I will take out the shavings now. So u think I should leave it off for 2 days and see what happens.

4. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    She can stand and walkz? If so, I would - If her legs just go out from under her all the time, then i would bandage her up again, but yours looks like she is just trying to walk. Definitely leave her on paper towels instead of shavings

5. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    I have taken your advice and the shavings are gone. I also took off the plasters on her toes and they look great. They were totally crossed over.

She isnt falling over but she looks unsteady. She is attepting steps I will keep my eye on her today. thanks jerseygirl1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  6. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    7 days seems like more than enough time, she may just be getting exercise!! Great job! I think she'll be fine!!!

7. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    thankyou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by