Urgent: All chicks died. Can broody hen take second clutch ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosiethechicken, Jun 7, 2011.

1. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Our broody hen patiently cared for 3 eggs for last 21 days.
    But disaster struck on the last day. 1st died - possibly mother stepped on it in the night.
    2 more died by the time we came home - possibly killed by other hens.

I should have moved the broody to separate area in the beginning.
    First timer here, so feel terrible about not doing it.

Whole family is in low spirits now.

Question: Can we put 3 more eggs under broody in new location ?
    Will the mom continue to sit for another 3 weeks ? Or just forget all this
    and do better next time ?

Appreciate suggestions.

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yes, you can set more eggs under her. My Buff Orp killed all 9 of her peachicks, so I put 8 more eggs under her. This time I'll take them as soon as they hatch.

3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    oh i'm so sorry for your loss, its devastating, i know, now i've not experimented with 2nd clutches yet but we keep putting chicks under our broody everytime they hatch out in the bator, she orignally hatched her own 2 and now she has 10 chicks under her! she's been with her chicks for about 7 weeks now, the first 2 have left to new homes [​IMG] but she's still doing a great job. I know that probably doesn't help you any but i suppose its worth a shot. I do know my DH kept our silkie going after my 3yr old DS took her eggs and accidently dropped them on the floor, smashing them open [​IMG], give her a try and see what happens [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Chickens can't count. Your hen should set another 3 weeks to hatch a new clutch, I've had hens do that here. Fix the issues you had with this hatch so the next one will be more successful. Do check your hen for mites, maybe dust her new nest site before she sets there. I wish you & her great success!

5. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Broodies are pretty tough to move once they start sitting, so don't blame yourself. You may not have convinced her to sit somewhere else. I don't know what your set up is like, but I have the best luck letting them sit where they want until the hatch is done and then moving them and the babies to a safe location. It works the best for the broodies who set in movable boxes or baskets. Not so well for the girls who like the wall boxes [​IMG]

My EE Saphire has chosen a very awkward spot and lost her initial egg for obvious reasons. I haven't been able to get her to relocate or break her broody mood and she has been there now 6 weeks taking great care of a wooden egg. I finally decided to put a pie plate under her so the eggs couldn't roll off and gave her another couple eggs to try. She REALLY wants to be a mama! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Thank you for kind words and great advice. I was concerned about broody getting tired of sitting and losing physical strength to sit another 3 weeks.
    I will talk to kids and see if they can go through another roller coaster ride.

7. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    I'm fairly new to chickens, but I just went through a broody hatch (7 babies), and I'd hate for my girl to have to go through another 3 weeks of sitting on eggs. You can tell it's exhausting, and they don't eat and drink enough. I would definitely worry about health. If it were me, I'd acquire some day-olds and put them under her at night.

Good luck!

8. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Make sure your hen is in good health and good weight first. Sometimes they get worn down by being broody.

9. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    broody's do go thru alot sitting .i lost one of mine a week ago and this heat is hard on them
    if you want you also could order some chicks if your nearby feed store does not have day old chicks to slip under your hen so she can raise them. do it late in the evenig or erly moring be ready to stick around for a while so all goes well
    i have done this 3 times my girls do great. if you broody decides to sit agian dont forget to give her lots of electrolight water and a fan .also frozen bottles of water( 2 liter)in front of the fan helps keep this cool
    [​IMG] good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by