1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT***animal attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KDchickenmomma, Aug 11, 2013.

1. KDchickenmomma

KDchickenmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Please help when I left the house this morning I found my fence broken into. My two outdoor dogs were in the run. Not sure if they are to blame or just saw the opportunity with the broken fence and went in. I live in the sticks and have a variety of wild animals (wolves, coyotes, raccoons, foxes, opposums,ect.)

My entire flock was attacked. Several missing. The ones alive were in a state of shock. When I picked them up they began to chatter and walk. Injuiries range from minor to entire back missing feathers.

I locked them safely in their coop. Scrambled some eggs. Gave them sugar water. Fixed the fence.

Need advise. What else can I do at this point to try to save as many as I can?

**Please no bashing,very emotional 8 month pregnant woman**

Thank you!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for your losses! I'd first clean any of the wounds. Get a towel/paper towel and dip it in warm water. Use this to clean the wounds, but be gentle. I'd then put some antibiotic ointment on the wounds of the injured birds. Don't use any ointment with any "cain/caine" ingredients, as these are bad for chickens. If any signs of infection appear (greenish color, bad smell, etc), get them on antibiotics. A broad-spectrum antibiotic like Oxytetracyline would work to prevent infection.

As long as there aren't internal injuries, your birds should heal. Chickens have a remarkable healing ability.

Good luck!

3. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    This is not outside the realm of what your dogs can do . my dog killed and ate one of my tukeys and one of my chickens.

the best thing to do i get lots of water, the hose if it reaches and get rid of that blood, all of it, it will bring in predators for miles

then find out exactly how your dogs got in and fix it. its all you can do .

were your dogs covered in blood? if so they are the culprit. if not they may have gone in after to investigate

if so chain em up for a while

4. KDchickenmomma

Feb 29, 2012
    Unfortunately it is not realm of something my dogs could do. They have eaten chickens that have flown over the fence. However, they have never even attempted to go in the fence. They were not covered in blood. Infact, even the injured birds were not bloody. Just missing feathers. They did act guilty, but like I said, they know better than to go in there.

My main concern at this point is how to care for these poor birds.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Follow advise given in previous posts,all very good. Clean all wounds. Your girls will be extremely stressed,odd behaviour is to be expected,egg production will probably decrease,your girls may show fear of going where attack happened,this is all very normal. Chickens do suffer from depression when members of their flock die. Make sure all are eating/drinking. They will recover,just takes some time.

6. KDchickenmomma

Feb 29, 2012
    Should I seperate the roosters? I do not want them trying to mate the injured girls.

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would leave them all together,your girls may find comfort in having the big boys around,separating may increase their stress. If you see the roosters upsetting your girls,then separate them for awhile,otherwise leave all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by