URGENT - Anyone want Marek hens in Los Angeles area?

Ruby Law

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2022
Southern California
We have just confirmed that our Bresse flock has Mareks. We have four 11-week old hens that do not yet show symptoms, so we don't know of they will overcome it.

We live in very close proximity to 2 other flocks and do not feel it is the responsible thing to keep them and risk our neighbors flocks, so we either have to find a new Marek flock to give them to or we have to cull them this weekend.

Please let me know right away if you want them. They are VERY sweet and cuddly hens. It will break my heart to cull them.

I'm am not an expert on Mareks,, but have read many posts and threads on that subject.
Here is some things for you to take into consideration.
If your chickens have Mareks,, that means that your grounds have that virus present. That virus does not disappear as soon as you get rid of your infected chickens. It stays there for a long time.
That translates to,,,, those neighboring flocks, can get that virus regardless what you do now. They may already have it,, and that is where it came from..:idunno
What should you do for future flock.; Get chicks vaccinated against Mareks.
I would also just keep your current 4 chicks, and treat them best you can. There are treatments, ,(that you can administer) that I read in some threads,, I don't have those at my fingertips at the moment.
Search out Mareks threads here on BYC, and inform yourself best you can.

WISHING YOU BEST:hugs..........................and:welcome

I'm am not an expert on Mareks,, but have read many posts and threads on that subject.
Here is some things for you to take into consideration.
If your chickens have Mareks,, that means that your grounds have that virus present. That virus does not disappear as soon as you get rid of your infected chickens. It stays there for a long time.
That translates to,,,, those neighboring flocks, can get that virus regardless what you do now. They may already have it,, and that is where it came from..:idunno
What should you do for future flock.; Get chicks vaccinated against Mareks.
I would also just keep your current 4 chicks, and treat them best you can. There are treatments, ,(that you can administer) that I read in some threads,, I don't have those at my fingertips at the moment.
Search out Mareks threads here on BYC, and inform yourself best you can.

WISHING YOU BEST:hugs..........................and:welcome
Thank you.

This was our first attempt at chickens, and they have had Coccidiosis, and now Marek's and some bacterial infection (the bacterial infection apparently can be treated). They are only 11 weeks old. I think the chicks we received were just unhealthy????

They have had a very clean environment, organic feed, daily grub treats, free-range in a huge yard... I just can't figure out where they got all these infections.

Neither of the neighbors have even had a sick chicken in years.

Right now, we plan to cull the flock, burn their bodies, cry for a week, then use a HEPA filter to vacuum everything loose on the whole property, then soak in disinfectant, then tear down the coop and disinfectant again. My biggest concern now is minimizing the illness of our neighbors' chickens.

Honestly, I have been too stressed for years and my health is suffering. Chickens were supposed to be easy and that has NOT been our experience.

I wish things were different, but right now, I feel like this is the only responsible route.

Thank you.

This was our first attempt at chickens, and they have had Coccidiosis, and now Marek's and some bacterial infection (the bacterial infection apparently can be treated). They are only 11 weeks old. I think the chicks we received were just unhealthy????

They have had a very clean environment, organic feed, daily grub treats, free-range in a huge yard... I just can't figure out where they got all these infections.

Neither of the neighbors have even had a sick chicken in years.

Right now, we plan to cull the flock, burn their bodies, cry for a week, then use a HEPA filter to vacuum everything loose on the whole property, then soak in disinfectant, then tear down the coop and disinfectant again. My biggest concern now is minimizing the illness of our neighbors' chickens.

Honestly, I have been too stressed for years and my health is suffering. Chickens were supposed to be easy and that has NOT been our experience.

I wish things were different, but right now, I feel like this is the only responsible route.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom