Urgent! Baby chick hatching issues!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenllady, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Chickenllady

Chickenllady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Today my broody hen was sitting on her eggs (and it's been about 17 or so days, I lost track) and accidentally cracked one of them open partially. I picked it up and I was extremely upset that she may have killed it- until I heard chirping. It was really loud and as I looked it over there was blood coming out of the small cut in the egg that the mother had made, but it stopped soon after. I was really worried that the chick may be stuck, or something may have gone wrong. Now it has its beak out of the hole and there are parts of the chick covering its eyes. It is squirming around in the egg as if trying to get out, but it's not pipping at the shell or anything! The mother hen and the already old baby chicks that were already in the brooder keep pecking at it, and I don't know what to do. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure its undeveloped, because when I touched part of the baby chick that was sticking out of the egg, it felt like there was a lot of water or liquid under the skin. The tiny fuzz on it was barely visible, all I could really see was skin. Is this normal for a hatching chick, or not? My last broody hen hatched hers perfectly fine and ended up with three chicks in the end.
    I think the broody hen accidentally cracked another one just a tad too, because there's a little missing part of the shell and I can hear chirping from it, too. Someone tell me what to do, i'm really nervous about this hatch. There are seven eggs in total, all either Rhode Island Reds or Red Sex Links, and the broody hen is a (unusually small) Rhode Island Red. Someone tell me what to do?
    I really want this to be a successful hatch! [​IMG]

2. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    how's it going? did the chick die? is it ok?

3. Chickenllady

Chickenllady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    It's doing better now! We have hatched three.

4. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    good to hear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by