Urgent Baby Chick Out But Has Something Protruding From It Bottom

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countrygirl911, Feb 18, 2011.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    It was going on 12 hrs with no progression so i helped by chipping os of the shell away and a little while later it popped out but the part of the egg that was under it had lots of blood and it has something protruding from its body what could this be will it go away or is the chick sick this is the first time for me to incubate

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Sounds like maybe its where its umbilical cord was attached. Dont know what you can do but just keep an eye on it. If its not bleeding its probably ok. And its yolk sack might not be completely absorbed yet.

3. Heluerto

Heluerto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    It may be out just a little too early. Leave it be in the incubator for now, can go 24 hours without food or drink at least. If it's a bit of yolk it still needs to absorb it, blood not great, just keep an eye out, always a risk in helping them on, but I know it's hard not to.

4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I posted on your other thread. It is probably the yolk sac or the umbilical. They usually will absorb with time. I would stick the chick in the incubator and let it rest and dry off and hopefully it will absorb. When they are in the shell and rest that is when they absorb all the stuff that it attached to the shell. Whatever you do don't pull it off, it will bleed.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Just leave it in the incubator for now, it wasn't quite ready to hatch. For future reference, it can take more than 24 hours from pip to hatch.

6. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    it is a little bloody but nor really bleeding what about the other eggs they have not started to peep yet

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Just let them sit in the incubator with the chick. It may take a few more days for them to hatch. The chick will be fine in there with the eggs.

8. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    here are some pictures sorry about
    the quality

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    I had one like this last time.Just leave him be. He might look half dead right now, but he isnt. Let him chill for a while, he will get his second wind. All that stuff hanging is normal give him time to soak it up.Dont remove it. Hopefully he wasnt taken outta the shell too early.If you ever end up having to help,do as little as possible and I always leave them in the shell,at least the rear end part of them because theres all kinds of scary stuff happening at that end. Every time you incubate, you learn something new and get better every time too. Im still learning not to worry more than I already have to. Im sure he will do fine. Its a learning process for everyone, even really experienced hatchers.Good luck on the other 2.Keep us updated.

10. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    at 3 am this morning he was cherping and rocking the egg an started to chip away the shell how do you know if it was to early today is day 21 i set the 3 eggs on jan 28th

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by