Urgent barely breathing Diagnostic help- Full Crop, Gurgling ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by h-kay, Feb 12, 2015.

1. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    Hello,

I've only had chickens for two weeks. I've read so much I'm just confused and have no idea what to do next. I need help making a decision about "vomiting" a hen. RIR and I believe she is one year.

One hen has a respiratory issue with mucus, eye shut and breathing trouble. Tube feeding and watering giving Tylan 50 isolated with heat lamp, probiotics and electrolytes.

The one I'm concerned about was lethargic the day the 1st hen was found with mucus. She had some mucus but not as much. No unusual smell.

It was assumed, probably incorrectly, that the 2nd hen had the same issue so she has been given the same treatment. Can a full crop cause breathing problems such as gurgling?

We're on day three.

At first she was still drinking and pecking at food but not like her normal aggressive self. Then she stopped all together.
    I haven't tube fed her because her crop was full when I went to feed her. I have been giving her water via tube. She pooped last night and her crop seemed a little less full. She has not pooped sense. Her crop is squishy. I've given more water and massaged her crop. I discovered today that I am probably not giving enough water. How much can be given by tube at a time?

She is having a terrible time breathing. Struggles for each breath. Gurgling I fear she wont last long if I can't take pressure off her lungs or get the fluid out.

I did not know to check the crop when we first discovered she was ill so I don't know if it was full when we brought her in.

My question is...
    Have we possible misdiagnosed a respiratory illness and what she really has is a slow or sour crop? How long should I allow the crop to have stuff in it? Should I vomit her? No vet in our area. How much water and how often?

If you can help please answer directly. The BYC community has been awesome but I'm afraid I am suffering from information overload and have just become more confused.

Thank you in advance!!!

2. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    Oh and we recently changed feed from layer crumble to an organic layer pellet.

3. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    Update: I'm giving her water 10 -15ml via tube every 1.5 to 2 hrs. Before I give the water I feel her crop. It seems a little smaller before I give water. Her breathing is worse right after I give water but seem slightly better right before. Suggesting her crop is linked to her breathing problems. She pooped again which smells god awful. I will continue to give her water via a feeding tube every couple of hours and message her crop afterwards.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how much water I should give her each time? Any other suggestions. Am I killing this hen?

4. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    further update. Her comb is pale and laying to the side. She is sitting and I've had to clean around her vent as it was caked with white poop. I've felt around and can not feel an egg but I'm not sure I would know if I did.

Please.. anyone?

5. arosenzweig

arosenzweig Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2014
    Hi H-Kay,

I'm so sorry,

I'm only reading your message now and it's been over a week since you posted.

Did you little girl survive?

You were very brave to tube feed, many people are afraid to try. My wife just tube fed a chicken for the first time today while I held the flashlight.

Overnight the contents of the crop should fully empty. If you find something in the crop in the morning... that's not good. I've read that some people have ways of trying to get it out but I'd say take her to a vet if you know of one... they may need to surgically cut a small hole and remove whatever is inside.

Sounds like something is in her crop that just won't leave but she could still process other items put in her crop.

I wouldn't think anything in her crop would cause the gurgling but that could be a 2nd problem. In other words she may have a crop problem and a respiratory problem.

Get the first aid kit from "first state vet supply" - It has many drugs to help with a wide range of issues.

If your girl has passed, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm sorry nobody answered you in time on this list. All chickens are special.

6. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    After action report:
    Thank you so much for your concern and reply.
    She is doing much better.

I treated her with Tylan 50 1.5cc 2x per day for 5 days to treat the respetory infection.
    Her crop was slow so I treated with veggie oil 5ml via tube right into her crop. I messages it several times a day and gave her nothing but water and water with electrolytes for 2 days until her crop started to empty.
    Things seem to be moving well now. She's back with the other hens and seems to be doing well. She doesn't have as much energy but she getting much better. Thanks agin for your concern. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by