Urgent: Black Copper Maran hen lethargic, not eating much, standing still and closing eyes

farmergirl1234

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2020
Hi everyone. My black copper maran hen started acting different yesterday. My other hens also started picking on her, likely knowing that she is sick. She was still eating and drinking yesterday, but she started acting lethargic yesterday afternoon. She is just standing still with her eyes closed most of the time. It has gotten worse this morning. She layed an egg yesterday, so I am not sure if she is eggbound. She is also hoarse. She sounds almost like she's whining when she is vocal. Her poo is watery. It started getting cold where I live, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. She is not wheezing or anything. I lost one of my other hens about 6 months ago within two days. The hen I lost had similar symptoms but was never hoarse. I am not sure what is wrong with her and I really want to help her in any way that I can. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4467.JPG
    IMG_4467.JPG
    637.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Have you checked her over? Crop, vent, any parasites?
I would separate her in a comfortably warm area and try to get her eating and drinking.
I have checked her. She doesn't have any external parasites. I checked her vent and it looks normal. I see that she keeps moving her mouth like she does when she drinks, but she does it when shes just standing there. She did drink a little bit. I will try to get her warm and comfortable.

Usually when my sick hens make that beak movement, I think they want to eat and drink but are just not sure or maybe the right thing will get them motivated. I would give her anything she would like. Scrambled egg, mushy oatmeal, canned peaches mushed up, Anything to give her some energy while you're figuring it out.

Hi everyone. My black copper maran hen started acting different yesterday. My other hens also started picking on her, likely knowing that she is sick. She was still eating and drinking yesterday, but she started acting lethargic yesterday afternoon. She is just standing still with her eyes closed most of the time. It has gotten worse this morning. She layed an egg yesterday, so I am not sure if she is eggbound. She is also hoarse. She sounds almost like she's whining when she is vocal. Her poo is watery. It started getting cold where I live, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. She is not wheezing or anything. I lost one of my other hens about 6 months ago within two days. The hen I lost had similar symptoms but was never hoarse. I am not sure what is wrong with her and I really want to help her in any way that I can. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!
Here's an update on my hen. She still isn't drinking much. She does eat a little bit when hand fed. She is isolated in a warm area, but she still stands with her eyes closed a lot. I am really not sure what she has. She is still very hoarse, only making whining sounds. Her condition is about the same as yesterday. Has anyone had a hen become hoarse, and suddenly become lethargic with her head in and eyes closed? She has no respiratory symptoms besides being hoarse, so I don't know what sickness she could have.

Last edited:
Sounds like general flu symptoms, they could manifest without wheezing, but it could be a bunch of other stuff as well. I'd give her oral antibiotics. It won't hurt, but it could help. I always recommend avian antibiotics from the Oxytetracycline family (they have different market names around the world), because I have never had issues or side effects with them.

Every time I get a lethargic hen with or without overt flu symptoms I give her a course. I have saved dozens of girls throughout the years.

Sounds like general flu symptoms, they could manifest without wheezing, but it could be a bunch of other stuff as well. I'd give her oral antibiotics. It won't hurt, but it could help. I always recommend avian antibiotics from the Oxytetracycline family (they have different market names around the world), because I have never had issues or side effects with them.

Every time I get a lethargic hen with or without overt flu symptoms I give her a course. I have saved dozens of girls throughout the years.
Thank you. I will see what I can find around where I live

Back
Top Bottom