URGENT!!!!Bleeding Beek Injuiry

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marionsimeri, Sep 8, 2008.

1. marionsimeri

marionsimeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2008
    indiana
    one of my 20 week old hens injured her upper beek this morning . It was bleeding, and I put some corn starch on it to stop the bleeding.Everytime I put her down she rubs her beek and it starts all over bleeding. I been carring her around , so it she will not rub off the corn starch. Is there anything else I can do for her. Should I try Super-glue, has anyone any devise for me please, I am very new at chicken keeping. Thank you.

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I always keep blood stop powder and some Blu-Kote handy. The problem with the Blu-Kote is that it's quite messy and the stains don't go away quickly. I use super glue on my own wounds. You'll have to be careful not to get it all over her feathers. She will likely jump when you put it on, it stings in a big way.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i'd try a small piece of tape, or something other then super glue on the beak, unless your very careful not to let it drip from top to bottom. ( nope ive never superglued MY fingers together [​IMG] )

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

If you don't have blood stop on hand try gunpowder. It's chemical make up is very similar to Blood Stop and I was shown this trick when one of my fillies caught her front leg in a barbwired fence and wouldn't stop bleeding. Gun powder has charcoal, sulfa, and ammonia nitrate (I think).

I've also been able to stop beak bleeds with just a piece of charcoal from the wood burning stove. Just FYI in the future.

5. the1much

be like the bears in the woods,,,mud ,, makes a great band-aid [​IMG]

had to edit to say,, only if theres nothing else,, dont do just cause [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You can also heat a knife really hot and cauterize it.

7. the1much

soldering gun works great doing that [​IMG]

8. marionsimeri

marionsimeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2008
    indiana
    Thank you very much for the advice about the bleeding beek. She is doing much better and has started eating again tonight. I had to take her out of the coop, away from her pecking girl friends. She has moved into the cabinet under the bathroom sink,and lays there with our cat. This is a wonderful place to get good advise from people who love their hens like we do. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by