URGENT! Bleeding Chicken Beak!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IndigoChicken12, Nov 2, 2013.

1. IndigoChicken12

IndigoChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    A couple days ago, I noticed that a lot of my chickens have a dark scab-like thing at the very base of their comb. A few minutes ago, a dog came into our yard and scared the chickens. I think that they jumped up against the wire, and now the scabs are bleeding [​IMG]. If anyone could tell me what to do, or why they all have scabs at the base of their combs, that would be great. Please help!

2. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    Also, it's dark out, so they are roosting. I'm worried that the other chickens will peck at the bleeding ones in the morning, and just make it worse...

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have any BluKote? You don't want to spray it on the beak and get it into the eyes, but you could spray it on your finger (wear rubber glove) and dab it on the beaks. Use blue or green food color if no BluKote. First though make sure they are not bleeding. Put pressure, or put some flour on them to stop bleeding. Check your feeders and waterers to see if there isn't a sharp surface they are being cut on.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  4. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    I don't have BluKote. I was worried that it was their feeder, but I don't think it is. Any other suggestions?[​IMG]

5. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    I would use neosporin or mix 1 tsp hog lord/ crisco shorting with a pinch of salt or sea salt. The salt will help clot the bleeding.

6. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    Ok. Thanks. Should it be dry before I put on Neosporin? Do you think they could have gotten the scabs from pressing against the hardware cloth?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    I will try to get some pics tomorrow. Do you think they will be ok with the other chickens?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tonight daylight saving ends, but set your clock to get up before daylight just to be out there when they get up. Watch them --they may be okay, but use the food coloring if you have any.

10. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    What is the food coloring for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by