1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT : Blood and some tiny living things over the chicken's anus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by winchester512, Dec 29, 2013.

1. winchester512

winchester512 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    Dear friends, please help me with this problem my chicken have been dealing recently. Sorry for my English errors. I'm not living in an English talking country.

I've got an 18 month old chicken. She has been looking puffy recently. I thought it must be like that because of the cold nights here (over -15 C, 5 F). So I moved the coop to a warm place. But after moving I realized that the chicken's legs have gotten very skinny, which makes her walk difficultly. So I started feeding her multivitamin syrup to help her get stronger. Anyway, today I felt that the back part (above the legs) has gotten a bit puffy too. I checked the anus and saw blood and gore right there, there were also tiny insects around there. She breathes heavily. She has not been laying eggs for over 2 month now.
    What do you guys think I should do to help her? I keep them just as a hobby and I don't want to lose them :(
    I think she doesn't have really much time. Please help me to help her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is how the execretion looks like :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. Math

Math Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Do you have access to some type of poultry dust or garden dust pesticide to kill the bugs? It is good you are giving her vitamins but she needs help ridding the bugs.

1 person likes this.
  3. winchester512

Nov 6, 2012
    Thank you for your reply Math.
    can I use normal insecticide sprays that we use for killing mosquitos and flies?

4. Math

Math Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    I have never used that on chickens

1 person likes this.
  5. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Not standard insecticide, but DTE (diatomecious earth) or sevin dust. You might also go to your local feed store or livestock supply and ask them for a paraciticide, which helps with mites and lice. You may not be able to find the brand name Ivermectin there, but another local version would be fine. Those don't look like our local version of either mites or lice, but your regional pests will be different from my regional pests. Food grade DTE is typically organic, but you don't want to breath it, so wear a mask.

And your English is great!

1 person likes this.
  6. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    They actually do look sort of like our local poultry lice, actually, with just a little variation.

1 person likes this.
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They are lice. Sevin dust will kill them.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. winchester512

Nov 6, 2012
    Thank you Kyzmette, very helpful! I'll use that and share the result at this great website :) It's really good to have a community like this.

9. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    I would NOT use DE on them to get rid of lice. Sevin or poultry dust or you will lose your birds. You need to get rid of them quickly since it's been an ongoing infestation and you're birds are struggling.

10. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Be sure to dust all of your birds and clean the coop. Put new bedding and nest box filling and use the powder in the nest box and in the rest of the bedding. Just getting the bugs off the birds isn't the only thing you must do you have to get the bugs out of the chickens environment or they will just get back on the chickens. If you have access to probiotics that will help the chickens recover.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by