Urgent! Blood in my chick's poop.

babbychickens

Chirping
Dec 4, 2018
Redland Bay, QLD, Australia
One of my three chicks have blood in their poop. I looked it up and I'm fairly certain it's Coccidiosis but the poo isn't runny and she is still very energetic. I did check her stomach and it was considerably less full than the other one's bellies.

I have isolated her but they are very loud when they are apart. I will take her to a vet tomorrow and get treatment for all of them but for now I need to know how far away from each other they need to be.

Your diagnosis is correct. If I were you, I'd get them all started on Corid immediately. Use an eyedropper if you have to with the chick that excreted the bloody poop.
Clean the feeder and waterer with ammonia/water mixture and rinse thoroughly, same with your brooder.

Your diagnosis is correct. If I were you, I'd get them all started on Corid immediately. Use an eyedropper if you have to with the chick that excreted the bloody poop.
Clean the feeder and waterer with ammonia/water mixture and rinse thoroughly, same with your brooder.

This may be a false alarm. I did some searching and sometimes just intestinal lining (which is a darker red) is confused for Coccidiosis. I looked at pictures of poop done by Coccidiosis infected chickens and it is more of a bright red and takes up the whole poo. The blood I saw was only a little bit and just around the poo, and a darker red.

This is my first time with chicks so I'm not sure but I thought it may just be an early sign of Coccidiosis because of the above, however I went and checked her latest poops which were fine. Should I treat them anyway?

IMG20181205210247.jpg
I dug through my bin to find the tissue I cleaned it up with (she did it on the floor). Do you think this is anything I should worry about?

Shed intestinal lining is normal on occasion. However if it's shed frequently, it can be a sign of coccidiosis. Honestly it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and give your chicks Corid, it's not an antibiotic and is very safe. The Corid 9.6% liquid solution dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water. It can be found in the cattle section at a feed store.
Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. It must be their sole source of water to drink during the 5 day period.
Ensure feeder and waterer are free of feces at all times, and brooder cleaned frequently.

Shed intestinal lining is normal on occasion. However if it's shed frequently, it can be a sign of coccidiosis. Honestly it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and give your chicks Corid, it's not an antibiotic and is very safe. The Corid 9.6% liquid solution dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water. It can be found in the cattle section at a feed store.
Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. It must be their sole source of water to drink during the 5 day period.
Ensure feeder and waterer are free of feces at all times, and brooder cleaned frequently.
Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom